• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what RAM for 220+ FSB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

subzero

ok im going to finally buy my new RAM i was gonna buy geil but heard some bad things so what RAM can i get thats going to do 220+ FSB with decent timings i have a choice of kingmax, kingston, corsair, mushkin or geil. all thoughts appreciated. oh and it will be going in my rig in my sig

Claw13Angel said:
if you going with amd, i heard twinmos BH-5 is good or CH-5 with tight timings and they are cheap too

Yup, I cuncur. However i have better performance and better ocings with the Twinmos BH-5's than the CH-5's. Evry board is different tho.

One thing I've noticed about ch-5 is it has one very specific sweetspot with timings and anywhere else it wont get anywhere near the same mhz.

hmmm problem is i cant get my hands on any of this twinmos stuff.. guess ill have to look some more for a retailer with it in australia

Mushkin black level 2 PC 3200 doing 220 at 2-2-2 timings here.
If you get the PC 3500 you are guaranteed 2-2-2 at 217 and surely will get at least 220 at those aggressive timings out of it.

I will suport what ghost said. I was able to get a stable 230 @ 2.5-3-3-6 timings with mine, and 225 @ 2-2-2-5, I am currently running them at 246FSB 5:4 2-2-2-5; GAT: F1; auto-auto-disabled-disabled and they are rock solid Prime (modded ini file to kill ram and shorten test period) and CPU Stability Test. If I was running a 2.4c instead of this 2.8 I would bet that I could easily get to a 290-300 fsb, and then only thing holding me back right now is the processor.

well i can get geil (all types) corsair (all types) mushkin lvl 2 black 2700 3200 3500 also kingston kingmax and samsung. the geil is easiest for me to get cause my local shop has it. corsair and mushkin i can also get but on from a shop which is 3 hours drive from me and they are a little expensive but if the mushkin is worth it ill do it. i dont want corsair though and i think the mushkin would be better and kingmax and kingston are just crap as far as overclocking goes.. i just cant decide if i want mushkin PC3200 or geil PC3200 .. let me see a show of hands who thinks i should get the mushkin black lvl 2 3200? and is 3500 worth that bit more or will 3200 do just fine? thanks for the help guys

Get the 3200, it'll probably do what the 3500 stick can......No Corsair huh? It'll no doubt run as good as Mushkin if not better. As for service, if I got a fingerprint on my Corsair heatspreader I could probably RMA the thing! But alas, everyone has their biases for one reason or another......My 3200 will 225mhz at 2-2-2-6 speeds.

I have Geil PC3200 which is very stable at 460mhz (230fsb x 200%) and 2.5-3-3-6 timings, it is $43 at newegg its on back to school special

[edit]
these are the best timings i can hit, even when i underclock the stuff... when you put CL to 2 or 3 it wont boot either lol it likes 2.5...
[/edit]

I'd get HyperX rated at 2-2-2, or the old kind of 3500 with BH-5
My 3000 does ddr500 2-2-2-5

about 3 months ago i was gonna buy this kingston hyperX but it was well overpriced and lately it seems that geil and mushkin is the prefered RAM of the overclockers around here and its also alot cheaper then kingston

Well, it's alot cheaper than Mushkin and GeIL just sucks on AMD 90% of the time

Mushinks on BH5 are very good, but also expensive.

GeILs - Ultra Platinum are up to PC4200 (but look at 2.6v minimum)

Golden Dragons are up to PC4000.

And even golden dragons are cheaper than mushkin, but on speeds 3200, BH-5 offer really nice timings.
For faster I'd preffer GeILs

Both mems are very good

well geil is the cheapest and mushkin is just a little more than geil.. kingston is the most expensive RAM available where i live. for $350 i can get 2x256mb mushkin PC3200 lvl 2 black $320 for geil its $320 and kingston is about $380 and i think golden dragon is about $400 these prices are australian dollars

Back