• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Voltage reading differences

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TR_B

I always had quite a low 3.3v/5v line according to my BIOS and programs like MBM5.

Even at a fsb of 100, the 5v line is around 4.86 idle.

Idle and load voltages show quite some voltagedrops average.

Quite recently I measured the 5v/12v line with a digital voltage reading device connected to one of the molex' and I was suprised:
perfect around 5.00 and 12.00 and hardly any difference idle vs load nor between with a fsb of 100 or 133 or 138.
Err, right :-/

I was looking for a reason why I cannot overclock my system past the 143fsb line, and I thought the PSU was the one to blame.
But now? Hmm, I'm a bit confused.

Is there a reason to not always trust what the BIOS says?
The voltages apart from the 5v and 3v line (12v only a tad lower than what I measured) all seem to be fine / accurate and show hardly any difference between idle and load.

Maybe the MoBo connector is from a different circuit in the PSU?

Could be my Palomino CPu aswell, but I do not know if I can rule out my PSU for blocking my OC attempts.....it is either the PSU, CPU or both.

You simply don't know anything about the voltages until you put a voltmeter on them and check. The voltmeter doesn't lie, motherboards do.

As far as the limit for your overclock, it might be cpu, ram, or motherboard. I tend to suspect motherboard as ECS is junk, but after you change two of the three you will know about the third. I think it is safe to say your power supply is not the source of your limitation.

Tnx guys, for the information.
I know a bit 'bout computers, but on certain areas I know jack so forgive me for that.
Now I know I can rule out the PSU... heh, this might have been put in another section of this forum I guess.

Before the cpu-voltage bump from 1.76 to 1.86 I could not even boot into Windows at a FSB of 143Mhz; now I can.
Strangely enough I can run mem-test-86 at a FSB of 147 perfectly no matter what memorytimings, but that's about it.
But assoon as Windows starts up, it hangs at random moments during start-up, so I suspected the PSU.

As a sidenote: I call my memory "generic", but I bought it at a cheap place not knowning where the modules originated from; just to put it that way. According to SiSoft it can do atleast a fsb143 cl3.
Running perfectly now at 143-ultra-cl2-2-2.

But you guys are right; this MoBo is junk; I reckon it wasn't cheap for nothing. Two sd-ram modules can't be used now (crash under load); although in the winter it ran fine........ *sigh* I miss having 512mb of ram.

Well, I guess I'll leave it with 143 fsb and see what my GF2 can do (220/400 'till now).
If done some soldering to get my vcore bumped up; but I don't want to risk anything more because I have to use my pc for my study aswell.

Back