• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2.4c will be here on Friday... getting excited!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Schlotkins

Registered
I'm getting my 2.4c and a IS7-G on friday and I can't wait... I'm currently running a NF7-S with a XP1700+ @ 2.36ghz, but the nforce2 chipset and my DVD burner don't like each other. I'm just hoping this PIV can be as fast as this current box.

I'm going to assume I need to re-install win XP to get hyperthreading working, right?

Can't wait to play around!!!
Schlotkins

Congrads dude...

I am also getting 2 p42.4c and an IS7 E by this friday or coming monday....so I have to reinstall win XP again...I reinstaled win xp a couple of day ago only...darn....:mad:

By the way I am new to OCing....and I am great help from the guys on this board....If you would like to give me your 2 cents on it you are more that welcome to do so....

Here is the link....

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=231790

Looks like a mother of a combination....2.4c and abit IS7...match made in heaven....

Power Supply

Well, these guys are the experts. I have another system with a 2.4b (it's a shuttle SFF) and I didn't do any O'Cing with it. I think a good 350 watt PS goes father than people thing. I'm running my current rig with a Forton 350. I can't remember the wattage numbers off the top of my head, but I know a Athlon running at 2.36 gig @ 1.75 volts has to be chewing some up. I have 2 7200 RPM drives, a ATI 9500 Pro, a Fusion II HDTV card, a DVD burner and a CD burner all running OK. We shall see on Friday how it holds up.

My goal is 3.2ghz. I figure with a 266 FSB and a gig of good PC3700 RAM and this baby is going to MOVE.

I'll let you know how it all turns out by 7:30 on Friday. That's when the LAN party starts. :)

Schlotkins

Wow there is a lot in your machine....

I am also aiming for 3.2 but I have a 300 watt supply and it seems I need to get atleast a 350-400 watts p/s b4 trying to reach 3.2..

Wow even you a 9500 pro...so do I :cool: . And it really kicks ***...so it is somewhat between a 9700 and a 9600... 9600 being lower...

Sorry that I am not able to help you out but I am glad that I am not alone making this desition...

Having some problems

So, this isn't going as well as I hoped. I can't get this thing pasted 238 bus. UGH. I have the memory speed divider at 3:2 and all the timings as slow as they go. At 238 under load @ 1.55v I have a temp of 39, which I think is OK right? I'm running one of those Zalman CNPS7000-Cu CPU Fan .. I have the stock HS/Fan but this one should be better.

The only note I'll make on the processor is that the package date is 6/03/2003 which seems like an old one to get this late in the year. The only things I can think of other than I'm the unluckest person in the world is either PS or the motherboard is defective. I have a 350w Forten... voltages in BIOS look OK, although the vcore is going from 1.53-1.56. I only have a R9500 Pro in there. Here's the complete system... any suggestions? The only thing I have left to try is putting up the core to like 1.65 and see if I can get 250 .. that's my goal (It will boot at that now..)

2.4c PIV
IS7-G (BIOS 16)
1 gig 3700 RAM (I know it can do 180 because it was in an AMD system running in dual mode)
Forton 350w PS
R9500 PRO
Western Digital 120gig HDD

THanks,
Schlotkins

May be PS

So last night I was fooling around more and when this thing dies in XP it just doesn't BSOD or anything, the hard drives spin down and everything. That makes me think the PS just runs out of juice and the system shuts down...

yeah u prolly need a new psu...I bought a 430 true power from comp usa for like a 100 bucks...

The psu was the first thing that came to my mind...cos when I posted my system specs..Larva..immedialty said that my 300 watts psu was no good...he said it would be better if I got a 480 watt power supply if I really wanted to push the cpu..

By the way I also received my 2.4c on friday and it was packed on 6/9 and i think a lot of people have gotten upto 3.2... so I wouldnt say it is bcos of the cpu...

Oh..I just received my mobo this morning cant wait to get back home and see what this setup is capable of...

What's your cooling? What's your temp? Did you have shutdown temp on? Latest bios?

I was thinking about the temp shutdown this morning as well. I'll double check, but I think it's at 50 and I haven't seen the temp go over 42.

I'm on the latest - BIOS16 and I'm using a Zalman CNPS7000-Cu with the fan on at full speed..... I'm going to pick up a Antec True Power 430 on the way home to see if that helps.

whats the diff between the is7 and ic7, i was going to use the ic7 since it was considered the better one to oc with,,, about to purchase also the 2.4c

Schlotkins, sounds like your PCI bus is too far out of spec. Make sure you have the PCI/AGP BIOS setting on "fix" which locks the PCI bus at default.

Unreal, the IS7 uses the i865 chipset and the IC7 uses the i875 chipset. The features are about identical. I've heard the IC7 uses slightly higher quality chips.

batboy said:
Unreal, the IS7 uses the i865 chipset and the IC7 uses the i875 chipset. The features are about identical. I've heard the IC7 uses slightly higher quality chips.

Also, it looks to me like the IC-7 has better Vcore capabilities.

I've looked up the MOSFET's on the IC-7 and they are very state of the art. I don't know what MOSFET's the IS-7 uses. (Anyone want to check the part # for me?)

The thing I notice most. looking at pictures of both boards, is the wire in the Vcore inductors. The IC-7 uses multiple strands of wire in parallel to reduce the resistance of the Vcore inductors. The IS-7 uses much less wire. There will be more power wasted in the IS-7 inductors than in the IC-7 inductors. This may be a very important issue when Prescott comes out.

Whelp, I've got some bad news and some good news. First the good news: I'm now running at 250bus MUCH better than before after I flopped out the power supply. It made it through 1 hour of prime. Nothing serious obviously, but better than better.

The bad news? Whelp, hooked up everything with the new power supply and my 9500 Pro smoked. So, that REALLY sucks.

Back