• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Extra 3.5" bay for rent!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Beefpops

Hey, I've got an extra floppy drive bay open. Problem is, I have all the rheostats, thermometers, LED readouts, USB and firewire ports a growing boy could ask for. Any creative ways to get something else worthwhile out of this? C'mon, if I don't get an original idea here, I'll invent something and become rich and you'll all get jealous. Thanks in advance!

Is it possible to put a flash/memory stick reader in there? Or a hidden compartment?

Its a small device that reads those little sticks that store things like pictures in digital cameras. This way you dont have to connect the camera/pda, but you can just take the memory stick and place it into the reader, and you can use it as a tiny little hardrive, so this way you can download pics and upload things from the net to your portable device.

Reader, this one only reads flash memory, but there are ones that have many slots.

Memory stick

Zipdisk...
Trust me if you get one you will start using it. :)
I just put one in because all of the comps at my school have em and in my 3d animation class and some of the files are pretty big..
I use it all the freakin time now.

I have a external zip drive, but since no one else that I know uses it after I moved here, it kind of lost its usefullness. Now its in a closet.

you could try gutting an old floppy drive and making a "glovebox" for various things. Being in a 3.5" drive, cd's wouldn't fit, but you could use it to store floppy's and/or pieces of paper with needed information. Maybe even put the Radio receiver for a wireless keyboard/mouse in there, that way it's not cluttering up some space on your desk or under it, but is "stealthed" in the computer itself.

I took a 5.25" bay and made the cover into a door and made a hidden compartment. You could do the same with this smaller bay.

pummer said:
I took a 5.25" bay and made the cover into a door and made a hidden compartment. You could do the same with this smaller bay.

same as:

bsspewer said:
you could try gutting an old floppy drive and making a "glovebox" for various things. Being in a 3.5" drive, cd's wouldn't fit, but you could use it to store floppy's and/or pieces of paper with needed information. Maybe even put the Radio receiver for a wireless keyboard/mouse in there, that way it's not cluttering up some space on your desk or under it, but is "stealthed" in the computer itself.

Get a mini 4 port switch and mod that in there. You'd be all set for any LAN party action, and I haven't seen it much in projects yet.

Ken

penquissciguy said:
Get a mini 4 port switch and mod that in there. You'd be all set for any LAN party action, and I haven't seen it much in projects yet.

Ken

perfect, Linksys as a tiny assed switch that would fit in there VERY well.

Hmm... Im thinking about turning my 5.25 bay into a CD holder after reading that stuff! =) maybe take some front audio jacks, and wire some ear buds into headphones and make it RETRACTABLE!! lan partys await! no carrying big headphones =)

I want to create my own clear 3.5" bay resevoir simialar to the 5.25 they are selling now.

I have all of my 5.25s full, and only 1 3.5 left. I will have the acrillic by this weekend. Hope it turns out okay.

I plan on putting in a center channel so it flows smoothly, and polpping in a couple of LED's and one of my temp probs to monitor the liquid temp.

Put a Floptical drive in it. That's be a good use (read BIG WASTE) of money. :D

personalize it:

casemod2.jpg

that's my 5.25" bay, but it can be easily done in a 3.5" bay

Back