• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cable Modem/buy or rent?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What about those of us who have dual purpose modems for internet/phone???? I don't think they can be bought can they?

Like VOIP?

Because I got an old Linksys that I can use for modem, and my phone has a separate router for its system that connects to my other router which connects the the modem.

What about those of us who have dual purpose modems for internet/phone???? I don't think they can be bought can they?
They make them? I own my Modem and Router but I let Comcast supply the phone modem. I really needed that as they need to be 40' from each other or my Wifi would stink.

So you could separate them and buy one of each.

I got the Motorola SB6120 cable modem from Newegg today. All looks good. I'm surprised that it has an install disc? I wonder if I should run that. So often the included install discs are out of date and WIN7 has something better. Any experience out there? Anyway I got on line and ordered the Comcast service. An installer will come out Jan 16 in the AM. That all sounds good. When i went back to the on line offer/ordering page etc. I see I was misunderstanding the promo 6 month deal a little. The 6 month for "new" subscriber is $29.99/month and then $44.99 thereafter. Which is actually better in the long run. It was clearly marked. I was reading the promo for an existing customer that would upgrade. I just didn't look at all well enough/ my mistake. I also surprised myself and probably for the first time in my life opted in for a $1.99 month fee to cover any corrections/troubleshooting regarding my home wiring etc/ I've never bought any of these extended warranty things, but considering the issues I had with DSL and possible issues with this modem/its worth it. Plus i haven't used the existing coax cable for over ? 25ys? Its been a long time haha.

Plus i haven't used the existing coax cable for over ? 25ys? Its been a long time haha.

That actually might be a problem. Comcast replaced my cable from the pole to my house years ago. The installer said it would cause noise and slow my speed down on the computer. It was free so a non issue for me.

By the way in the ordering I looked at the approved Comcast modems for my company/area etc and the Motorla SB6120 DOCSIS 3.0 is on the list/so I'm hoping it will work. And on that same page Comcast goes on to say that DOCSIS matters and that if one is subscribing to either Performance(that's me) i can use either 2.0 or 3.0, but if one goes faster meaning Blast,Ultra, or Extreme then for sure DOCSIS 3.0 is a must. So I interpret that to mean I could have gone with the Motorola SB5120 that seems to commonly get high reviews and no complaints. I'm having a few second thoughts haha. I coulda got the SB5120 for $20 less and supposedly its without the 2minute plus boot time that some folks complain they get with the SB6120-so we'll see.

That actually might be a problem. Comcast replaced my cable from the pole to my house years ago. The installer said it would cause noise and slow my speed down on the computer. It was free so a non issue for me.

Thanks I'll be sure to ask the installer about that.

If you're following this thread and new to cable:

(DOCSIS) Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification

I pay for the 12mbps regular plan for Mediacom. But I also go way over that all the time. Especially with Steam downloads at times. This is on their issued Arris brand modem w/ ethernet and voip.

Wow you are lucky, just out of curiosity, what kind of download speed can you get get with STEAM?

closest "fat" pipe

1109082129.png

biggest fat pipe west coast

1109083177.png

biggest fat pipe east coast

1109083934.png

FREAKIN JAPAN!!!

1109085334.png

i did this at a high traffic time, i havent changed any of my settings to fit my new area yet and i am on a cheepy Dlink DOCSIS 2.0 cable modem i bought a while ago, as far as i can tell most of the rest of the neighborhood has Clearwire or Quest DSL so theres not a whole lot of local traffic but i'm not in a big town not near a big town and the rest of the valley is hitting the inter-pipe hard at 5-10pm after they get off work so its a high traffic time right now (7:30 PST) and its restricted heading out of here to the next big junction

edit:
oh and i am paying for 3Meg

Got the Webstar modem free from Cox when I signed up a few years back with a deal, their site says it's $40 now. No regrets, generally get a faster connection than what I pay for even without their "PowerBoost".

I pay for 15 megs down and 2 megs up. Never get less than 20 megs down however the upload is capped at exactly 2 megs.

Local:

B3K3X.png

Across country:

OghNH.png

Back