• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Network/IT certification

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JerkasaurusRex

I am 15 yrs old and i hear i can get some sort of IT certification and get an IT job. I thoguh this would be an awesome job for me as like a side job and stuff. How would i got this certification and where and when can i get it? I live in NY.

Not to discourage you, but your only 15, and with all the certs in the world you will probably have a hard time finding a company to hire you. Hell, us adults with multiple certs can barley get a job.

I am not making an attack by any means. Simply, most IT companies or departments will have a hard time justifying hire a "kid" Not only that, but hiring a teenager comes with lots o paper work that most places don't want to mess with. Also lots of child labor laws, can't work past this time, can work this many hours, can't do this, that ect.

Good Luck

What I would suggest though. Finish high school first. Then take your certs/college and move into the real world. Or find a job at a local computer store, maybe as a tech help.

Good Luck

Well i was plannign at working at tech support dept at my local comp store, micro center, and i do have my working papers and all. This is micro center says they need some cert for it. Next time i go i will ask them what they need and i will get it.

this is an idea that i tried out for the summer and worked really well. unless you really want a job at the local store, it is really easy to start up your own little buisness. In my city i just posted an ad for computer repair and consulting in the local paper, and i got plenty of calls, about 2 a week.

The computer store probably wanted you to be A+ certified (about $300 for both tests). It doesn't mean much, but it's a place some places can hang a hat. As was already said, your biggest problem is going to be your age and the number of hours you're able to work.

So to get an A+ certification i will ahve to take 2 tests which will cost $300. That seems like a lot, do those $300 include classes or anythng? I know www.comTIA.org offers it and they have a testing center about 20 min from my house.

i got questions about windows, networking, blaster(ugh i hate the damn worm), and some people who wanted upgrades, or a new comp. i charge $20/repair $10/consulting. i thought that was fair.

When I took A+ it was $150 per test, and that was just to sit down and take the test. Classes are really a waste of money for A+ as you can get pretty good books on the subject. Even if you get certified, the A+ certification only stipulates that you know the basics that a technician with about 6 months experience would know.

Well i jsut want them to HIRE me. Once i am in i think i will be able to stay.

$300 is a bit much because you need to take 2 tests to get cert right? I guess u are right about classes beign a waste. I hear all they do is show you haw to install network cards and easy **** like that.

Check Amazon.com for A+ cert books. Pick one up, and while you read through it you may run into stuff you may not understand. Apply what you read to your own computer (at the risk of losing data, but gaining knowledge (and a job)). Cram before the test and see if you can get your parents or somebody to help you out with the test (or work over the summer doing lawn jobs or something to get some $$$).

I will not say it is a waste because there is nothing you can lose at the point you are at and a lot you can gain.

A+ sounds just right for what they would probably be having you do.

The IT industry is all about getting your foot in the door. You cant get a job w/o experience, and you cant get experience w/o a job. ;)

Back