• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What would I need to install Linux?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToolBox

I have RedHat Linux 8.0 on a disc. What programs (for windows) do you recommend I use to create a dual boot and not screw up my hd?

All you need is some free unpartitioned space on your hard disk. If your hard disk is one big partition like most people's, then you have several choices. If it is formatted in FAT32, there is a free Linux program called parted that can non-destructively resize your partitions. It is probably on the Red Hat disk, if you boot in "rescue mode", you'll be sent to a command line, from which you can run parted.

If you your drive is formatted in NTFS, or you'd rather go a more user friendly route, you can use Partition Magic to resize the paritition. Alternatively, you could delete the existing partition and reinstall Windows on a smaller partition (which will result in the destruction of any data on the partition).

I'd recommend giving Linux at least 5 GB or so.

Hmm because this is an old HP hd. It has an HP "custom" winXP on a 5ish GB partition. Could I reformat that partition and install linux on there?

I used Partition Magic to create some 'unallocated' space on a small (6Gb) drive, set the BIOS to boot from CDROM, insert Linux distro and reboot. If you already have a windows OS installed the distro will automatically create a dual boot system which activates during boot-up (after the distro has installed, I'd suggest this option if you can create the extra space). I have 98se and redhat on a 6gig drive PII-400 rig.

ToolBox said:
Hmm because this is an old HP hd. It has an HP "custom" winXP on a 5ish GB partition. Could I reformat that partition and install linux on there?

If you don't mind losing windows, reformatting won't be a problem. If you want windows to stay intact and there's some space after the 5GB partition, you can add a partition there without windows knowing or caring.

Back