• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my system is driving me crazy!! help!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Johny J

Alright. When i play games on my computer, they suddenly stop playing and the screen goes back to windows. No error message, nothing. The screen goes from the game to windows withough warning. When it does this, the game wont open back up. I thought it was just doing it with games i downloaded, but i got the disc for command and conquer and it does this **** when i try to install it.

i am running windows 98 2nd edition. What do you mean a bad memory stick? How would my ram go bad? I dont have any others to throw in and try. Can i test this?

Any other thoughts.

ok. i will check. not quite sure how i update thos, but i'll give it a shot.

Try a degrag and checkdisk. You did uninstall the old drivers in safe mode right? If you didn't, try it again, reboot and then reinstall each driver followed by a defrag.

Johny J said:
Alright. When i play games on my computer, they suddenly stop playing

When you say games, what games are we on about? We talking UT2K3 or Solitare :D Or everything?

PS I wasnt being sarcastic I was just wondering what games it was crashing on.

Welcome to the forums!!

Johny J said:
i am running windows 98 2nd edition. What do you mean a bad memory stick? How would my ram go bad? I dont have any others to throw in and try. Can i test this?

Any other thoughts.
Try using GoldMemory or MemTest86 to check your memory.

What are your system specs? (OC'd or not?).
What are your temps? (Try MotherBoardMonitor aka MBM5).

i plan on upgrading to xp soon. Anywa, my system specs are...

diamond fusion graphics card 16mb
pentium 3 666mhz
128mb ram 75% free
6 gigs free hard drive.

Someone suggested that my board may not be compatible with the latest versions of direct-x? Would that be it? I dl-ed the latest version of it so maybe thats a problem?
KillorBee... i have no idea what any of that stuff you said means. Sorry. I went to those web pages, but dont know exactly what i am supposed to be doing there.

ThePerfectCore said:
When's the last time you reformatted?

reformatted what? Sorry i am not that good with this stuff. I assume you do not mean format my hard drive. That erases everything, correct? Since i dont know what you mean, i am assumiong i have never done that.

Yes, erase everything on the hard disk and reinstall the OS. Sounds like it's time, if you've had 98SE for a while.

What games are you getting the crashes on? If you are playing modern games (like any that have come out in the past two years) then you are most likely just running out of memory. Also when is the last time that you have run defrag? My suggestion is to run defrag, and try to get another 128mb stick of PC133 memory. The memory is cheap, can usually be found right here on these forums for $20-$25 shipped and even if it doest fix the problem by itself you will get a nice all around boost in performance. Another problem could very well be that your video card is severely out of date and just doesnt handle modern video games well at all. The card fills the memory and the computer is just so overloaded that it has no choice but to dump the game and go back to the desktop. Your comp is pretty well outdated, but could be made a bit more gameable with a MX440 video card and another stick of 128mb pc133 memory.

Back