• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows xp corporate

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mastametz

i've heard bits and pieces about it over several threads....i'd like to sum it all up in one topic.

What are the advantages of having a corporate version of windows xp?

Where can you obtain a copy of it?

Anything important we should know about it?

etc.

I think the only thing difference between Pro and Corporate is that Corporate is meant to be installed simultaneously on hundreds of PCs without needing a different hardware dependant serial on each installation.

This did lead to one copy of Corporate being pirated.

I think as a regular person and not a huge company, there's probably no reason to get Corporate rather than Pro.

ya... flotsum you can't really say that, i suggest you edit that out... but you can actually use the windows updates and get service packs.

Re: Reg. Corporate

flotsum said:
I was given a copy of winxp corporate (wink wink), the pirated version. The huge draw back being that your unable to use the windows update to download patches and service packs. So its pretty useless. Same thing though, no diff.

Actualy no you don't have a coperate version, you have a standard version of Windows XP Home or Pro that has had the activation requirements removed or hacked in some way.
I Legally have a copy of Windows XP Corparate Edition and as shiyan said it requires no Activiation and it also has no limits to the amount of times it can be installed (Although Legally you are required to have a liscence for each machine running the software). It also allows you to do on mass server based installation through a distribution server and can be done via three diferent methods:

Scripting
Remote Installation Services
Imaging (Cloning)

But apart from that Coperate versions have no differences to that of the ones purchased

Re: Reg. Corporate

Microsoft does know of the fact that Corporate Edition was getting pirated, so in SP1, they made sure that the most popular ones floating around required the activation again.

Thats rubbish ! the whole point of Coperate editions is that you NEVER have to Authorise them it's not even in the software pack! Microsoft has no way of knowing which copies are pirates or not. Unless some IT administrate calls microsoft and says..."hey i pirated a vopy of coperate and now its every where put an end to them!" Then some one like goldman sacks would have to Authorise over 1,000,000 PC's across the world.

We use our edition in every office in Asia from Japan to Jakata and it has also found it's way to other countries where our staff require a Japanese O/S and like wise for the English versions we have, These are either stored on a Remote Installation Server or a copy of the disk is made and sent to the IT manager at thier location so i can honestly say that the company I work for has over a 50 copies either virtual or copies in the Asia Pacific area. we can copy them as long as we have the liscence for each and every PC other wise the rath of god himself won't protect us from Microsoft lawyers!

So why haven't they put a stop to our CD's? They can't as they have no idea where the disks are, They rely on coperate stock takes to slap the blue chips around.

Re: Re: Reg. Corporate

shiyan said:
Microsoft does know of the fact that Corporate Edition was getting pirated, so in SP1, they made sure that the most popular ones floating around required the activation again.

Only the most popular CD keys. But there are ways to change that after installation.

This is treading a very thin line, but I'll add my two cents to this discussion. There are keys cd keys that do not require you to run product activation, and a couple of those keys were leaked to the internet. If you installed using one of those illicit keys, then your copy of XP would inform you that activation is not required.

Microsoft sent new keys to the companies that had their keys leaked, and then they disabled those keys in subsequent patches of WinXP. There versions of Corporate that don't rely on the cd-key, and there are hacked versions of XP that pretend to be the aforementioned version.

Disclaimer: None of the above is meant to condone software piracy, and the views expressed are strictly those of the author, and may or may not be the views of Overclockers Forums.

FarEast said:
So why haven't they put a stop to our CD's? They can't as they have no idea where the disks are, They rely on coperate stock takes to slap the blue chips around.

Actually, they can check the install code when you try to go the update site (if you are not using SUS). Or when you try and install SP1. If your License was illegal, then you could not download updates or install SP1. They have done this for the known leaked XP corp CD Keys.

Re: Re: Re: Reg. Corporate

CrashOveride said:

Only the most popular CD keys. But there are ways to change that after installation.

that's what I meant... they blocked the most pirated ones to cut down the piracy.

Might as well get in on this filthyness

Well.... if mikrosoft did block out the most popular cd keys.... wouldn't that just lead to having new ones put out by haxxors in the long run??? I mean... it's just a tech-version of supply and demand, no?

If someone's willing to pay for a cracked version of xp, then share that cracked version.... it's sort of like an endless loop. Microsoft has to have lost millions in illegal pirating, but my two cents is that definitly limiting the most popular keys is the smartest idea.

Project Longhorn - Anyone hear that you have to pretty much supply your entire life record in order to ensure anti-piracy??? If you have to give SOOOOO much info to microsoft.... and some hacker finds this little database...... what happens to the world???

Just my two cents.

I heard a rumor that longhorn would be controlled by an ms account on-line, that you have to set-up and connect to once a month to keep your OS on. Kind of like the .net thing. Better pray for linux or OS10-11

Re: Might as well get in on this filthyness

|3lackmagiK said:
Well.... if mikrosoft did block out the most popular cd keys.... wouldn't that just lead to having new ones put out by haxxors in the long run??? I mean... it's just a tech-version of supply and demand, no?
Just my two cents.

Yup.

And if that happens with longhorn I am moving to Linux for sure... the whole lame, annoying activation thing ALMOST moved me to Linux but not quite yet...

Re: Might as well get in on this filthyness

|3lackmagiK said:
Project Longhorn - Anyone hear that you have to pretty much supply your entire life record in order to ensure anti-piracy??? If you have to give SOOOOO much info to microsoft.... and some hacker finds this little database...... what happens to the world???

if longhorn turns out to be what the rumors are saying it is then crackers (the correct term for them, not hackers) need to start looking into another career as that database will be virtually untouchable (as will any other computer hooked up to the internet thats running longhorn).

what i don't get is how everyone is ready to ditch windows right away even though they are not being forced to use the new OS.... i'm more then willing to continue using Windows XP.

besides, i don't think it's going to be as bad as it's being made out to be. for starters it takes many years for a new OS to become to most widely used, by the time longhorn is used on enough systems to become fully functional it will probably have been scrapped for quite some time (perfect example of this is windows NT, just look at how many people/companys still use it).

this isn't a longhorn discussion thread, sorry for going off topic.

Heh everyone was doom and gloom about the activation thing in xp. Don't look now but 99% of those doom and gloom people are running xp with no complaints. Heh I reinstalled xp for the billionith time the other day and of course I had to call up ms since I had installed it too many times. They got measures in place to stop piracy about as sophisticated as the security at airports. 'Is this the original computer that you bought xp with with?'. 'Why yes it is!' 'ok here is your key'. About as silly as 'did you pack your own bag?'

Deathknight said:
Heh everyone was doom and gloom about the activation thing in xp. Don't look now but 99% of those doom and gloom people are running xp with no complaints. Heh I reinstalled xp for the billionith time the other day and of course I had to call up ms since I had installed it too many times. They got measures in place to stop piracy about as sophisticated as the security at airports. 'Is this the original computer that you bought xp with with?'. 'Why yes it is!' 'ok here is your key'. About as silly as 'did you pack your own bag?'

lol, so true.

and John, I just meant when I would need to upgrade next, I would probably run XP until it is like win98 is now.

I have xp pro installed on 3 computers. (all legitimate copies and licenses). It has been very buggy for me. I prefer windows 2k pro. That xp activation thing is stupid, but the extensive driver database is awesome. But if I use xp at all, it will be the most advanced windows operating system i will ever use. All these security things are a pain in the arse. If i have to use a newer os, i will move to a *nix. I'm not going to support Bill Gates in his quest to take over the world for much longer. I think 2k pro is and will always be my fav.

I was a refusenik who wouldn't use XPproSP1 because I didn't want to giver up my hardware configs to a microsoft server.

Well I have the corporate version of XPproSP1 with a virgin license key and it's great. No hassles. Just install, enter your CD product key and you're done. No further contact with microsoft required. When they get around to SP2, I'll have no issues with any pirate keys getting blocked either.

However now I'm liking server 2003 the workstation OS a little better. Maybe XPproSP2 will win me back.

Back