• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will this RAID 1 / Hard Drive / Motherboard Combo work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

virginiamonkeys

Registered
I'm doing my first build and I hope I've researched this well enough, but I'll ask to make sure anyway.

My motherboard is going to be the Chaintech Zenith 9CJS.
The product link is at: http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/eng/product_spec.asp?MPSNo=13&PISNo=144

It says:
On-board SATA RAID Controller

Build-in ICH5R supports 2 Serial ATA devices for the highest data
transfer rates (1.5Gbps burst) with RAID 0 solution
standard for high speed data transfer
END QUOTE

I wanted a Raid 1 configuration, so I guess I have to buy a controller card. I'm thinking of two 160GB SATA drives, and want the ability to add 2 more (a mirrored pair) if that becomes inadequate, so is this card good:?
FastTrak TX4000 listed at:
http://www.promise.com/product/product_list_eng.asp?familyId=2

Really, I have no idea what I'm looking for in a controller card. Is there a better, or faster, or more reliable card that suits my needs better?

I'm thinking of either a pair of the Barrucuda 7200.7 SATA 160GB (Serial, ATA/150, 7200 RPM) ST3160023AS or DiamondMax Plus9 - 160GB (SATA, Ultra ATA/133, 7200 RPM) 6Y160M0. They look like the same specs and same price basically. Anybody have a particular preference?

Will all of the above work well in my computer?

Promise definatly makes good RAID controllers, and the one you picked out is a nice model BUT it is an ATA raid controller and you want a SATA controller card.

If you want to stick with promise some of the models that support SATA are:

S150 TX2+ (supports 2 drives in 0, 1, or 0+1). Oddly enough I think promise is also putting ATA connectors on these as well

Then there i the S150 TX4+. Supports 4 drives in 0, 1 or 0+1

There is also the S150 SX4 which offers more raid modes like 10, 5 and also it has JBOD.

I like my promise controller, it works great. Another company that also has quality raid controllers is highpoint.

Good luck with the new rig :D

Highpoint makes good cards that are usually cheaper than Promise's, so I'd look to them first. The RocketRAID 1540, I believe the model is, is a 4-channel RAID 0/1/0+1 controller that should fit your needs.

About the drives, Seagate has had a nasty habit of tweaking the firmware of their IDE drives so they don't behave well at all in RAID configs. I don't know whether or not this extends to the 7200.7 or not, and I certainly wouldn't rule it out just because the drives are SATA. Id recommend either the Maxtors or some WD SE's, which perform slightly better.

Back