• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit IC7-Max3 Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ducker

I'm wanting to upgrade my family rig (in sig below). I'm would like to go with a 2.4c or 2.8c P4 processor. What I'd like to do is buy an Abit IC7-Max3 mobo and use it with the rest of my hardware untill I can buy a new processor (can't afford to buy them both at the same time - too much $$$). My main concern is if my 1.8a 400fsb cpu will work on the Abit IC7-Max3, it says that it supports 800/533 fsb. I don't expect the performance that comes with the faster fsb chips on my 1.8a, but will it work untill I can buy a 2.4c or (hopefully) a 2.8c chip?

Yes... it's the Willamettes that won't work at all. You'll need two sticks of RAM for dual channel, but one stick will work in single channel mode.

You may want to hold off a few weeks as Inte is supposed to drop prices and you may be able to get a faster CPU:

Oh man.............you just made my day!!!! :D With those price drops, I'll definately have a 2.8c sitting on that Abit IC7-Max3!!!! That's just inside my budget! I've been looking at the canterwood boards for the hyperthreading chips and :drool:'ing. The IC7-Max3 seems to be the best choice. But that price......ouch! But, I guess you get what you pay for.

So I should be ok running my current 1.8a chip untill the price drop? That's great! There's just no way that I can afford to upgrade both mobo & cpu at the same time, at least not with getting that mobo. :D Thanks!

There are advantages to using the 2.4C or 2.6C instead of the 2.8C or 3.0C. 1) Saves cash. 2) The lower speed processors will have a higher FSB overclocked at the same speed. Higher FSB means more performance. 3) They will overclock as fast or nearly as fast as the more expensive higher end CPUs.

There are advantages to using the 2.4C or 2.6C instead of the 2.8C or 3.0C. 1) Saves cash. 2) The lower speed processors will have a higher FSB overclocked at the same speed. Higher FSB means more performance. 3) They will overclock as fast or nearly as fast as the more expensive higher end CPUs.

I have considered that also. I really like cheeper! Does the 2.4c or 2.6c either one have any particular overclocking advantage over the other?

Its just with the lower base speed processors you can clock the bus up higher before you run into temperature issues. The chip will get hotter faster clocking the bus on a 2.8,3.0.

I have a 2.4C and a 2.8C... never noticed much difference in temps when running them at the same speed and voltage. Like I said and like was pointed out by others, the 2.4C has the advantage of higher FSB at the same overclocked speeds as the others. But, there is an advantage of the 2.6C in that you can use slightly lower speed RAM (which saves you a little cash, but you probably make up the difference with the 2.6C being slightly more than the 2.4C). A 2.6C running at 250 FSB (3.25 gig) using the 5:4 mem ratio can use PC3200 RAM.

Yer not gonna notice much difference between 2.4 and 2.8 because the p4c doesnt start reaching its upper limits until around 3.2-3.5 ghz. The 2.8 and 3.0 would hit these limits faster as u overclock the fsb. In order to get significantly higher than 3.5 methods such as prometia and vapochill much be employed and then the upper limit is extended to about 4.2-4.5 ghz before uve really squeezed out all of the p4c power.

I have a 2.4C and a 2.8C... never noticed much difference in temps when running them at the same speed and voltage. Like I said and like was pointed out by others, the 2.4C has the advantage of higher FSB at the same overclocked speeds as the others. But, there is an advantage of the 2.6C in that you can use slightly lower speed RAM (which saves you a little cash, but you probably make up the difference with the 2.6C being slightly more than the 2.4C). A 2.6C running at 250 FSB (3.25 gig) using the 5:4 mem ratio can use PC3200 RAM.

Well considering that the 2.8c (ht) will be down to $218 by the end of the October, wouldn’t there be a considerable advantage in having it as opposed to the 2.4c? I'm not worried about the RAM price wise, cuss I'll get the best RAM that I can afford. :D I'm of course talking about oc'ing it for all it's worth, on air :( (dam budget...you know got to pay the light bill, phone bill, & broadband access :eek: ). I'd like to get at least a 1gig oc w/air (budget again) with whatever chip I go with. What do you think the best choice of cps is in regards to overclocking potential?: 2.4c, 2.6c, or the 2.8c.

Yer not gonna notice much difference between 2.4 and 2.8 because the p4c doesnt start reaching its upper limits until around 3.2-3.5 ghz. The 2.8 and 3.0 would hit these limits faster as u overclock the fsb. In order to get significantly higher than 3.5 methods such as prometia and vapochill much be employed and then the upper limit is extended to about 4.2-4.5 ghz before uve really squeezed out all of the p4c power.

How far have people been getting on air? What's the best chip to go with?

You'll get more performance out of the higher FSB of the 2.4C. On air people are typically getting 3.2 to 3.4 gig.

Ducker said:

I'd like to get at least a 1gig oc w/air (budget again) with whatever chip I go with. What do you think the best choice of cps is in regards to overclocking potential?: 2.4c, 2.6c, or the 2.8c.

As Killazer already pointed out, the typical oc for most P4s on air (regardless of default speed) is ~3.2-3.5. Are there exceptions...sure, but don't count on anything better without a more exotic cooling solution.

Said another way...
-- If you have a 2.4c, figure on a max oc between 3.2 - 3.5
-- If you have a 2.6c, figure on a max oc between 3.2 - 3.5
-- If you have a 2.8c, figure on a max oc between 3.2 - 3.5

So...if you really want a 1 gig oc, go with the 2.4c and enjoy the lower chip cost and better rig performance from the higher FSB.

Hello all this is my first post so hello. Been reading through and saw this post so thought I would try and contribute, anyway over the last 3 days Ive been setting up a IC7-Max3 system - specs in my sign.

Anyway heres my comments:

Having read the reviews I ended up buying the IC7-MAX3 and I would just like to let people know getting the HSF on this board was a complete b*tch, using the Vantec VP4-7040.

The problem is the OTES and the Northbridge Heatsink are so close you cannot push down the retention clip because they physically block the clip being pushed down. The only way I got to install it was with the clip pushed down on the OTES - didnt want to remove the HS off the northbridge. How did I manage this well you have two choices:

1: Remove the OTES completely :(

2: VERY Harsh but no other way - removed the OTES got my Jigsaw out and sawed/shaved off about 2-3mm off the side of the OTES!!! Yep... Installed the HSF and then with lots of praying reinstalled the OTES - very fiddly didnt want to knock any of those capacitor thingies...

Moment of truth did it work? Yes!!! thank god I hadnt damaged anything however the HSF was wailing like a banshee due to the vibrations against the OTES it was pushed up against... Got round this by inserting a plastic clip between the retention clip and OTES so everything is cool, forgiving the pun.

Moral of the story be careful when selecting a HS/HSF for this board - btw it looks like you wont have any problems with standard intel HS solution. Btw as much as the OTES was a pain I love it.

Final mention -

CoolDrive 4 : Let me put it this way it looks so cool the missus said wow and seemed to think that me shelling out the cash was ok just because of it :p :D . Seriously very very nice I love it even though I dont use the hard disk cooler part... :-/ my case Antec Sonata has these funky quiet hard disk cages soo.. but the cooler twiddles and knobs rock and looks awesome.

NOTE: This was new to me so dont fall into the trap of getting 4 pin fans - this unit only has 3 pin connections...

Anyway hope the info helps btw I would really appreciate it if someone could help me OC this stuff to I dunno a 3.2Ghz comp, I know how to build a good rig but have never done OC so anyone please help

I'm just curious was I doing something wrong as it seems a number of people have the same board - didnt you guys have problems with HSF?

i had no trouble at all getting my Spark 7+ on, or my new SP-94. It's a bit tight, but it wasn't necessary for me to shave the OTES system.

BTW: My 2.8 is @ 3.51 on stock vcore and very low temps w/ air cooling. Gotta love a P4!

Back