• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NEW Mag3 or USED Eheim 1250 for a WW

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cupidr17

Which should I get? I could get a NEW Mag3 from marine depot for 40 bucks, or a USED but still in good condition Eheim 1250 for 40 shipped. Which would be better for a White Water?

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=223157&perpage=30&highlight=mag3&pagenumber=1

pqcurves.jpg

I believe the curves above are taken from manufacturer specs so keep that in mind.

hehe...i guess this was kinda useless for me coz I kinda had my heart set on the eheim. I figured that Eheim is tried and true for WCing and DannerMag3, while still a great pump, does not yet earn quite the respect of an Eheim while still respectable nonetheless. Maybe later when I go for a more complex setup I will try the DannerMag3 for the added head room. But for now i think ill stick with the king, EHEIM.

Thanks to those who replied

No doubt the eheim is tried and true but popularity doesn't make it a better pump. As for reliability, I'm sure you can find many users that can vouch for a mag. I've ran a mag5 for about a year without a hitch before I sold it. Other than that, why not get a pump that is new, better and also proven?

well, too late now. anyways...it wouldnt hurt right now to buy an eheim. Im happy. Like i said, I'll prolly try the danner later if I go into a more complex set up.

Danner has much better performance, its a little smaller, and just as reliable.

Jon

In a system using the WW block, which is quite restrictive, the Mag3 will provide a considerably higher flow rate. I just purchased one from Marine Depot for a similar system.

If you are set on the 1250, try to keep the rest of the system as "lossless" as possible. Perhaps a Tee instead of a reservoir, no 90 deg. elbow fittings, and 1/2" tubing.

pvc_and_frost said:
does that chart put the mag3 or the mcp600 at the top of the list?

Mag 3. I have one and it's great. This thing really moves water as long as you properly connect/seal the fittings :)

Back