• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Request for a suggestion...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

twinkie mcgee

Hi. I'm usually lurking about the hardware side, but I have a question for you software gurus... I'll try to be brief.

Basically, I'd like a way to paste a working snapshot of a windows directory tree into an email... or at least create an email of a collapsible/expandable directory tree. Essentially, I want to be able to share a list of a collection of files with someone without sharing the actual files, and at the same time, keep the index as small as possible. I know I could do the spreadsheet thing, but it seems to me there might be SOMEBODY who needs such a thing and created it... somewhere. I've tried file managers, directory printers, and html exporters ad nauseum, but can't seem to find something that does what I'm thinking. Here's an example...

"Dude! Here's that file list I promised you!

APPLES
BANANAS
CORNISH GAME HENS
etc....

{Meanwhile, DUDE is checking his mail. He opens up the file, and sees that his friend has some files about apples... Hmmm. DUDE doesn't have all the files relating to the apples, better look inside. DUDE clicks on the link to
APPLES

and sees the following in a explorer type directory tree
MACINTOSH
GRANNY SMITH
THEM

DUDE is excited, now, because his collection of APPLE files has been missing the rare import version of the GRANNY SMITH files. He clicks on the link to
GRANNY SMITH

and sees the following files in the folder:

1. Sauce.txt
2. Pie.txt
3. Caramel.txt
4. etc......

of course, DUDE didn't get the actual files... he just got a mirror of a directory tree so he could see which files he still needed. He immediately replies to his friend, who burns a disc of the rare imported GRANNY SMITH files, as well as a few others, and snail mails it off to DUDE. Life is good..."

Heh heh... sorry for the excessive cuteness, but I've been struggling with this problem for weeks. Thanks in advance for any help you all might be able to provide... and I'm not averse to paying for the right program either, btw. Have a good day....

Twinkie

ive used acdsee b4 for it,, there are others that do a log of the entire hd..

Open a DOS window and navigate to the directory you want to start the tree listing at. Once you're there, type in "TREE /f". That will give a graphical directory tree starting at the folder you're in.

It won't be links, but you can follow the lines along the tree fairly easily to see what's in a directory.

BTW, if you want the command to automatically write the output to a file, type in "TREE /f > tree.txt" and it will write it to tree.txt instead of the display.

EDIT - Tested to work with XP, not sure if the TREE command is avaliable on 9x if that's what you're using.
JigPu

Thanks!

Yeah, the tree command, while not perfect, does a better job of presenting the files in a semi legible format than all the other solutions I saw... Thanks very much!

Twinkie

Back