• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I think I smoked my 9800 Pro.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

krag

Classifieds Moderator
I have had my gpu volt mod running nicely at 1.87v (default 1.7). Then i turned it up to 1.9v last week with the idea of clearing up some of the white spots that I was getting at 500mhz. It worked for about a week....now I have 5 big fat yellow verticle lines running through my desktop. I turned it down to default voltage but ti no avail. SUCKS! I think I am trough with vid card volt mods...it just aint worth it. My $360 vid card is a pile of steaming junk now. anybody have a 9800 Pro they wanna sell me?:rolleyes:

That does kinda suck... I've been trying to decide if I want to voltmod my 9800np because it seems to be hitting a stumbling block on the GPU. I can do 770 on the memory without much issue, but the GPU seems to stop at around 430 and it doesn't feel like it's getting that hot -- I'd guess around 47-50c.

If I crank it all the way to 450, it starts to "sparkle" at me after a few minutes of hard gameplay on Halo or the like. The proper response is to wait until the card can't cut it anymore on my games, but the OC response is to overclock the hell out of it until it screams for mercy :D

Maybe I'll just wait...

Hey Krag, try taking off the Swifty and check to see if everything looks ok. It might just be some condensation.

1.9v does seem a little toasty to me, especially for 24/7, even with the pelt. Probably fine for benching.

Sorry to hear....

Maxi~

Sorry to hear of your misfortune my friend, I suggest you post this over at Extreme in their Extreme Volt Mod section as there are some very knowledgeable guys regarding Vmods and such.

Personally I have been wary of Volt Modding my 9800, but I will get around to it someday, but that day will be when the 9800 pros are under $200, or after 3-6 months (whichever comes first)

Anyway I hope the XtremeSys folks can give you any advise, because if anyone can, its them as guys like Macci and Oppainter are legends on their own time, and are helluva nice guys that are very helpful.

Thanks SSS, I posted over at extreme, but I think its a lost cause. :( I already ordered another 9800 Pro. :) THis one is the Gigacube 9800 Pro "Ultimate Extreme Version" with 2.5ns ram!!!

U.E.V. Gigacube 9800 Pro

This one should be good. I definately WILL NOT be v-modding this little beauty.:rolleyes:

Now that i finally have my swifty/gpu/pelt dialed in 10c idle!!! I probably wont' need a v-mod.

Albuquerque said:
That does kinda suck... I've been trying to decide if I want to voltmod my 9800np because it seems to be hitting a stumbling block on the GPU. I can do 770 on the memory without much issue, but the GPU seems to stop at around 430 and it doesn't feel like it's getting that hot -- I'd guess around 47-50c.

If I crank it all the way to 450, it starts to "sparkle" at me after a few minutes of hard gameplay on Halo or the like. The proper response is to wait until the card can't cut it anymore on my games, but the OC response is to overclock the hell out of it until it screams for mercy :D

Maybe I'll just wait...

I wouldn't v-mod it if I were you, you might end up like me...having to replace a $360 vid card. Get some better cooling and go that route instead of v-mod...its a lot safer

Well, if you have a look at my sig, my last voltmodding endeavour worked out great for my 9500np. The only reason I smoked it was because of my sheer stupidity... I didn't put on my nylon insulating washers when I reaffixed my heatsink (and I had no real reason to remove the heatsink, I was just trying to be a perfectionist).

I think I'm actually going to work on the rest of my system before voltmodding this puppy. I could certainly use more memory, and could also benefit from a faster processor. I'm gonna grab one of the 2.4B Dell pulls that my dad can get from his office. I figure a 9800np will be much happer with 3.2+ ghz and 512mb of ram instead. :)

sorry to here of your misfortune krag. I will NOT be voltmodding my 9800np, just too risky. I'm happy with 475 core :).

what kind of setup you got to cool your pelt to 10c?

i want that kind of cooling with the mcw50t.. but all i have is 1 pro core with 2 80cfm fans on it..

do i need more or is that sufficient?

Mac said:
sorry to here of your misfortune krag. I will NOT be voltmodding my 9800np, just too risky. I'm happy with 475 core :).

what kind of setup you got to cool your pelt to 10c?

i want that kind of cooling with the mcw50t.. but all i have is 1 pro core with 2 80cfm fans on it..

do i need more or is that sufficient?

I have a Black Ice Extreme rad with a 120mm 85cfm "quite" Pabst pushing and a 120mm Vantec Stealth pulling on it. The pump was a MC300 Swiftech which in in RMA right now cause it cracked on the seam and leaked.

I've been having my 9800p running at 2.05v for about 2 weeks now, 24/7 with just a cooljag 1u cooler. It's only running at 465 though, and runs at 42-46ºc fully loaded.

What I just don't understand is why I would get better clock speeds if I had better cooling on it, but I'd also get better clock speeds if I upped the voltage more, which I'm not going to do. I guess a vmod just forces it to run higher, regardless of heat. :(

Btw: I have destroyed two 9800p's in the past week, but I've gotten replacements for both of them. The first one, I snapped off that square point trying to bend the (fairly thick) wire I had soldered to it. The second one, I was going to do a memory vmod, but the VR was malfunctioning, and I didn't test the resistance beforehand, and it started up at 4.3v or something, which totally destroyed the memory. How stupid of me, but now I have a multimeter and everything. :rolleyes:

What were you using to cool it? Also, what were your temps like? I have mine at 1.8v 465/332 air cooled. My temps are usually no higher than 34c under load.

I need some better cooling! :D

I similarly fried a 9700 NP with a volt mod. Really sucks cause it worked great for about 2 weeks and at only 1.7 volts. Then it got this checkerboard background. Went back to standard voltage but no luck. EVen tried underclocking it but the damage was done. RIP No more voltmods for me! Too expensive and these cards really work prety well with just standard overclocking.:bang head

LarryRE said:
I similarly fried a 9700 NP with a volt mod. Really sucks cause it worked great for about 2 weeks and at only 1.7 volts. Then it got this checkerboard background. Went back to standard voltage but no luck. EVen tried underclocking it but the damage was done. RIP No more voltmods for me! Too expensive and these cards really work prety well with just standard overclocking.:bang head

All is not lost though. I like to look at this from a postive point of view. ;) Broken hardware just forces me to upgrade. Heh! Now I have a 9800 XT! :D I have it hooked up to my MCW50-T with tweakmonster BGA ramsinks.

The 9800XT cooler did a fairly decent job. With the stock cooling my OC was 445/390. But with the Swifty/tweakmonster setup I have it at 462/400. I think my 80w pelt is underperforming so....I just bought a 40mmx40mm 172w pelt from dangerden this morning and I have a 24v Mean Well psu waiting for it. I will swap out the 8ow TEC with the 172w TEC and I should get better results. As it stands now the 80w TEC setup is giving me 18c idle and 29c load....which is not what I was expecting. Oh well I have a 172w solution to this problem. :cool:

Edit*****load is 29c not 38c

Last edited:
Krag, please post as soon as you get the new pelt in there. I'd like to know temps and overclocks. If my bank account ever recovers, I'd like to get a MCW50-T and swap out the pelt like you are doing, then integrate it into my chilled water loop.

Mustanley said:
Krag, please post as soon as you get the new pelt in there. I'd like to know temps and overclocks. If my bank account ever recovers, I'd like to get a MCW50-T and swap out the pelt like you are doing, then integrate it into my chilled water loop.

No problem bro! It probably won't be for a couple weeks though cause I just got my swifty/pelt setup going and don't want to tear it down so soon. BTW i made an error in reporting my pelt temps. My load temp is 29c not 36c but still.....its not what I expect out of my setup.

Here is a link to a 172w pelt swapout walthrough from the bros at extremesystems.

Well in looking at your dead card Krag, I noticed no tim at all, so a core contact problem might have been possible. Did you run it shimless?

When you mention 'snow' artifacts, I can say that on my 9500, after I put the MCW50+T on it the snow artifacts I saw running over 435mhz were totally gone without changing v. So that to me suggests a possible contact issue as well.

Maybe I am wrong, but I just wanted to offer some feedback. Just make sure you "finger tight" the nylon nuts as far as you can. If they strip, then it is easy to replace them. It's not so easy to replace a $380 dollar card.

I am interested in the temp's after the pelt swap too. It seems to me that water temps might go up unless you upgrade your raddy, which would mean higher running chip temps as well.

Maxi~

El<(')>Maxi said:
Well in looking at your dead card Krag, I noticed no tim at all, so a core contact problem might have been possible. Did you run it shimless?

When you mention 'snow' artifacts, I can say that on my 9500, after I put the MCW50+T on it the snow artifacts I saw running over 435mhz were totally gone without changing v. So that to me suggests a possible contact issue as well.

Maybe I am wrong, but I just wanted to offer some feedback. Just make sure you "finger tight" the nylon nuts as far as you can. If they strip, then it is easy to replace them. It's not so easy to replace a $380 dollar card.

I am interested in the temp's after the pelt swap too. It seems to me that water temps might go up unless you upgrade your raddy, which would mean higher running chip temps as well.

Maxi~

When I was runnig the Ol' Smokey ;) I had the MXW50-T on it and I did use a light layer of ceramique for the TIM. The reason why I was getting white dots was due to a "MASSIVELY HIGH OC." Heh!

When I shipped it to you I just slapped the stock heatsink on it.

Right, but what I am saying is that when I took off the stock job there was almost zero tim on it and I checked to see if it was sitting flush and it was.

Thats why I was curious about the shim.

And all my snow went away when I got the MCW50+T. Before I would see the snow around 430-440mhz, after I see none , even at 470mhz which is not stable.

Maxi~

El<(')>Maxi said:
Right, but what I am saying is that when I took off the stock job there was almost zero tim on it and I checked to see if it was sitting flush and it was.

Thats why I was curious about the shim.

And all my snow went away when I got the MCW50+T. Before I would see the snow around 430-440mhz, after I see none , even at 470mhz which is not stable.

Maxi~

Almost zero? I have learned to use a light coating of TIM, if you use to much it is counter productive...it acts more like an insulator than a conductor.

BTW, each time I removed the hsf or swifty I could see a perfect square impression that the core made on the cooling head surface.

Back