• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Not sure if its Asus DOCP or my ram with reboot halting.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I hope I'm not jinxing this by making an update, but here goes.

So, ever since my post on the 12th of February, I haven't had a single POSTing incident. Unfortunately I'm not sure which of my little fixes seems to have solved it, but here's a list of what I did:

Updated my bios to the latest one Asus has, 1405.

Turned on VDDCR CPU Power Phase Control to extreme in the bios.

My EVGA 1000w PSU had a switch in the back for an eco boost mode. It was turned on so I turned it off. According to their website, all it does is not run the fans until the PSU reaches 55 degrees, but... where's the eco in that? So your fans run a little less and that saves the planet? I figure it's got something to do with the way it feeds power into the computer as well, and might be where the issue is during a system boot.

I also read from my motherboard manual, accidentally, about the way you should turn on a built system for the first time. Peripherals should be turned on first, and then the main unit. So nowadays I turn my monitor and speakers on first.

Finally, I rearranged all my USB peripherals and only put them in 2.0 ports since all I'm using are keyboards, mice, controllers and microphones. No exterior disks or such that would really benefit from 3.0. Never had any issues with this before the new memory sticks, but whatever...

My main suspects are the BIOS, the Power Phase Control and the PSU button, really.

Made an account to reply. I was having the same issue. It started with not passing POST in the morning. Upon restart everything would be fine. I manually set the speed to 3200mhz and kept the same timings. Worked great! About a week later it wouldn't pass POST on reset and I mean all resets. Turn off count to 10(needed to wait) and it'd start up fine. I set the Power Phase Control to Extreme and that seemed to solve it. Thanks!

Made an account to reply. I was having the same issue. It started with not passing POST in the morning. Upon restart everything would be fine. I manually set the speed to 3200mhz and kept the same timings. Worked great! About a week later it wouldn't pass POST on reset and I mean all resets. Turn off count to 10(needed to wait) and it'd start up fine. I set the Power Phase Control to Extreme and that seemed to solve it. Thanks!

Update: I had another hang on POST after 10th time rebooting after typing this. I used Thaiphoon Burner and noticed my memory called for a 58 clocks tRC on the XMP profile off the memory. BIOS had it set for 75. Fixed in BIOS and everything seems good again. It may be anecdotal but the RAM check on POST seems about 2-3 seconds quicker. :confused::confused::confused:

Some timings are for "speed" some for synchronization. This is a bit weird as too low tRC is usually causing problems with booting, not too high. However, there is some range of this timing so maybe it was exceeding its correct value. I don't know what Thaiphoon Burner is showing but 58 is usually for SPD values, not XMP. 3200 has usually 70-80, 3600+ has 90, depends on memory kit and used IC.
You can also check something like manual memory clock and first 4 timings and everything else at auto. It should set something different in other timings than what is in XMP.

So, ever since my post on the 12th of February, I haven't had a single POSTing incident. Unfortunately I'm not sure which of my little fixes seems to have solved it, but here's a list of what I did:

Registered just to say you are a ****ing genius, or just lucky either way this works! Thank you so much. I tried so many things to fix this nothing worked was ready to cut my losses and buy another motherboard.

To be clear this is a stone cold boot problem (power supply switch off) especially if the machine sits for a more than 5 minutes. Reboot, sleep, turn off no problem. If this happens to anyone else pull all your memory sticks and put only 1 stick into the 2nd slot, a stick that was in another slot. Boot, enter CMOS then exit. Put in other stick and boot into BIOS and set VDDCR CPU Power Phase Control to extreme. Done.

Running G.Skill F4-3600C18D-16GTZRX

Thanks HaVa!!

This also solved my problem, so (like Azus) I registered just to say thank you for saving me a lot more frustration. My rig now has no problems rebooting and I've kept my D.O.C.P. profile for my ram. Cheers!

Ryzen 3900x | ROG Cr𐤈sshair Hero VIII | ROG RTX 2080S | ROG Ryujin 240 | ROG Thor⚡ 850W | G.Skill F4-3600C16D- 32GTZR x 2 | Sabrent 1TB M.2 Gen.4 x 2 | SAMSUNG 1TB 850 Evo SSD | SAMSUNG CRG49" | Thermaltake CoreP3 | Logitech MX Keys & MX Master 3 |

Last edited:

My EVGA 1000w PSU had a switch in the back for an eco boost mode. It was turned on so I turned it off. According to their website, all it does is not run the fans until the PSU reaches 55 degrees, but... where's the eco in that? So your fans run a little less and that saves the planet? I figure it's got something to do with the way it feeds power into the computer as well, and might be where the issue is during a system boot.

I also read from my motherboard manual, accidentally, about the way you should turn on a built system for the first time. Peripherals should be turned on first, and then the main unit. So nowadays I turn my monitor and speakers on first.

Finally, I rearranged all my USB peripherals and only put them in 2.0 ports since all I'm using are keyboards, mice, controllers and microphones. No exterior disks or such that would really benefit from 3.0. Never had any issues with this before the new memory sticks, but whatever...

My main suspects are the BIOS, the Power Phase Control and the PSU button, really.

Hi guys,

I've also just registered to reply to this specific thread :)

I've tried setting the CPU Power Phase Control to extreme in my bios (X570-F) because I was having issues too with my newly built PC sometimes not POSTing at all, this seems to appear at random. Sometimes from sleep mode and sometimes it happens when the PC has been shut completely off. When i did put the power phase option to extreme my pc did post and boot, however, my monitor (which is an ultrawide 3440x1440p monitor) couldn't be set higher than 1680x1050 resolution.

I thought this is so strange and cannot really find any similar posts/stories on the internet. So I've actually haven't really been able to test if this method even works for my POST problem, since 1680x1050 isn't really workable on such a monitor. I've reverted back and still having this POST issue.

Any thoughts or ideas??

I can't see how that that setting would affect your GPU but strange things are possible. Maybe try changing the BIOS boot into safe mode nuke your drivers, reboot and reinstall drivers?

I can't see how that that setting would affect your GPU but strange things are possible. Maybe try changing the BIOS boot into safe mode nuke your drivers, reboot and reinstall drivers?

I've already tried reverting to previous drivers and reinstalling the newest ones, without any luck.

I've already tried reverting to previous drivers and reinstalling the newest ones, without any luck.

I don't know what else you can try that's a strange problem. Do you have a different vid card to try?

Just registered to share my fix that worked for me! I'm using Asus Prime x570-pro mobo with a G.skil Trident 4x8 4000mHz 1.35v kit.

Voltage here is key. After enabling in the bios DOCP, I couldn't get pas the POSTing error. So I tried lots of thing and finally I found what worked for me: Boosting VRAM voltage from the recommended 1.2000v to, at first 1.4000v (witch is 0.05v over the recommended. It still did not work and I tried.again and again increasing the voltage and with DOCP enabled, VRAM voltage set at 1.45v I was able to boot without any failure since then. I recommend playing with the VRAM voltage, I've seen other forums where people fixed the same issue with similar ways. Anyway good luck guys!

You're awesome Hava! This fixed my issue! Registered just to say thanks and maybe others in the future with the same hardware issues will see this too. I have the Asus tuf gaming x570 mobo (wifi) and was having issues with the PC starting from sleep or just booting up at all. When it did boot up it worked no issues but I was always nervous about turning it off or putting it to sleep. I would also like to mention I have an evga PSU with the ECO button on the back as well and I switched it off like you said. I'm not sure if it was the switch on the back of the PSU or the BIOS setting that fixed it but either way thank you!

Just want to add that this fixed my issue too. My computer would not boot and show the dram light at boot everytime after enabling docp. But setting VDDCR CPU Power Phase Control to extreme fixed it!! I'm on the asus tuf x570-pro wifi with a 5600x

Edit: I guess it was just a coincidence. I reset cmos and did it all again to test other ram and now I'm back to the same problem no matter the ram I use.

Last edited:

Registered just to say a big THANK YOU!!

Had the same issue of almost all of you i think (pc stuck on DRAM led with 2 memory sticks but running perfectly when 1 stick on second slot) and turning VDDCR CPU power phase control to extreme resolved the problem.
It's been 2 years from the last reply but it still helps many people.
For the ones that still can't resolve the problem contact a professional or keep seearching on the web but don't give up!

Back