• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

blue screen error

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

newgirl

Registered
Lately my pc has been rebooting by itself then running checkdisk. Also some times I get a blue screen error saying dumping physical memory. I run win2k pro on an asus p4s8x mb and intel 2.4 processor with Corsair DDR Ram 512mb pc2700.

sounds like your computer is unstable. it is quite normal for windows 2000 to run checkdisk after crashing.

the BSOD's message of "dumping physical memory" is just what windows shows when it crashes.

the possible causes for instability are numerous, so I guess one place to start looking for the cause of your problems would be running something like Prime 95 to see if everything is stable.

meanwhile I'll try to think of other possibilities.

edit:

the home page of Prime 95 is here:
http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

download it and run the torture test.

do you have all the voltages set to default in the bios? nothing's overclocked?

any possibility the temperature inside the case is getting too hot?

Last edited:
computer automatically restarts after dumping physical memory ???

if that is the case, right click "my computer" and choose "property", click "advance" tab and choose "setting" under "startup and recovery"

uncheck "automatically restart"

you can do this step in SAFE MODE if you can't do in NORMAL mode

by doing this, you will know what cause your problem

if you installed any DRIVERS late, it is good to UNINSTALL this driver/ software to see if it solves your problem.

also, if you enable anything, try to disable it

NOTE: you don't need to SAVE "memory dump" in your computer because of 2 reasons:

1-you waste your hard drive space
2-it is useless for a typical user UNLESS you know how to DEBUG this memory dump.

the process of doing is very complex and beyond your understanding. ONLY developers know how to do it. MS technical supports don't know how to do this

That's good advice. After reading that I remembered that it is sometimes possible to see what caused the problem on that blue screen of death.

Back