• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobile Athlon 2400 (best SMP steppings)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Karifan

Anyone tried running the mobile XP 2400 with 512 kb L2 cache in smp mode?
I have heard that since they are low voltage cpu/s that they require much less power to run at high speed, i.e 2500 mhz and so on.

what do you think of this stepping: AMD 45WMOBILEAthlon XP 2400+, 2.0GHz /266MHz BUS 512K,AXMH2400FQQ4C .

Thanks in advance

Does anyone atleast know if the Athlon 2400 mobile XP chip is mp capable? I have heard that AMD was intending to remove smp functionality from new XP chips.

Anyone? Anyone? Anyone?

Thx again

I guess I would have to try one cpu. I need an upgrade anyways with a low vcore high mhz chip for my NForce 2 board (currently running a Barton 2500 at only 2160 mhz for stability :( ).

Maybe I can contribute to this forum with something new. :)

I'll keep ya posted

I'm not sure how PowerNow! works (like Intel's SpeedStep) but I think it might lower the multiplier by default if in a desktop board (as the desktop board won't signal the processor that it's "plugged in" because it wasn't designed to). I might be wrong about that, though . . . Anyway, if that's true, you're going to have to do some work on them to get them to a high MHz . . .

I don't know if they'll necessarily overclock any better, but they will run cooler at stock . . . I think it's implied that a processor that runs stable at a low VCore will run faster at the same VCore as a another processor, but I'm not sure that that's ALWAYS true . . .

Also, without a bit of work from AMD, they're not removing MP capabilities from XP chips. XPs and MPs are the same chip, so they'd have to redesign the XP to do this, and since they're on to "bigger and better things", it can hardly be said to be worth their while. Perhaps you're thinking of the new coating on top of new AMD chips that thwarts the L5 mod. This is designed to keep you from being able to get the the contacts of the bridge to connect them. However, this requires only a bit of scraping or a pin-mod (wire-mod) trick to get around. If AMD was serious about removing the MP functionality, they wouldn't mess around with this coating cr** . . . They'd just go and do it.

Z

thx zachj that was very informative.
A friend of mine runs a mobile 2400 xp but its on a single board, at 1.7 vcore he is running 2500 mhz.

Thats one of the reasons I am getting the idea that it might be a golden stepping like the infamous DUT3C XP 1700+s.

I will keep researching. and will let you know

I seem to remember when Anandtech first tested the Althlon4 procs (everyone was still waiting for the release of the XP's) that he said that to enable PowerNow!, the chipset and bios specifically had to support those functions. In a regular board the proc would run at it's default multi. I don't know if that still holds true though.

I too would be very interested to see if these procs would work in SMP; sounds like a great way to keep the heat down to a reasonable level and the procs aren't much more expensive than the regular Barton 2500 either.

Even if it DOES default to a lower multiplier, he can just mod the bridges for a higher multiplier . . . If it doesn't, he's probably going to have to do it anyway, especially for 2500 MHz . . . Which you likely won't get, since duals seem to run slower than singles.

Z

Back