• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

removing stock thermal paste

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jibby

i bought a 2500 barton and i was wondering how to remove that stock thermal paste. its pretty thick and won't come off with just a cloth. i only have 70% rubbing alchohol so is that sufficient?

It should be.. try to get some 99% pure alcohol or the pure stuff they sell at auto stores (im tired so i cant remember whats its called)

whats the difference between 70% and 99%? will it hurt anything? what is on there is a thermal pad so i am jsut gonna scrape it off then clean the surface with 70% alchohol but is using 70% instead of 99% harmful in any way?

Soak the pad down with alcohol and scrape it off with your finger nail. Thats what I do anyway.

Ok before you start pouring petrol over your CPU try it with alcohol FIRST - it is known NOT to damage or degrade the organic pin grid array part and will clean the goo off.

Personally I just use tissue paper and no alcohol, but that's just me.

i had the same problem with my setup, i used pure alcohol from a drugstore and a cottonete to clean it. let it dry before you apply the new stuff

emilio

It sounds like you are trying to remove PCM, not paste, usually PCM is the stock TIM - I haven't ever had much trouble removing paste, but I guess I haven't ever let it dry out too bad maybe.

If it is PCM you may want to use a credit card or similar plastic ID card to help scrape off the material. I wouldn't use anything more firm than that to scrape with. I haven't ever found any fluid to be helpful at all in removing the PCM, but alcohol does help with a final wipe off clean after everything is removed.

IMOG said:
It sounds like you are trying to remove PCM, not paste, usually PCM is the stock TIM - I haven't ever had much trouble removing paste, but I guess I haven't ever let it dry out too bad maybe.

If it is PCM you may want to use a credit card or similar plastic ID card to help scrape off the material. I wouldn't use anything more firm than that to scrape with. I haven't ever found any fluid to be helpful at all in removing the PCM, but alcohol does help with a final wipe off clean after everything is removed.

This is probably going to be real popular (sarcasm intended) but I have always used carb cleaner sprayed onto a paper towel. This will at first soften it at which time I do as above and scrape it with my finger nail and wipe the paper towel on it again, etc till clean. I would not use a credit card only because of fear of damage though it may well work. I have always used this procedure and have yet to kill anything using this means. After it is clean I use acetone to clean it up and apply whatever my present fancy is.

Of course if it is just thermal paste then alcohol or acetone (I prefer) is the item to use. BTW, acetone is available at the dollar store for a buck as fingernail polish remover - pure acetone only.

Silver said:
Of course if it is just thermal paste then alcohol or acetone (I prefer) is the item to use. BTW, acetone is available at the dollar store for a buck as fingernail polish remover - pure acetone only.

If anyone is actually considering using carb cleaner, then this doesn't apply to you... Buy the fingernail polish remover without a fragrance if it is an option - it has less gunk in it and will dry cleaner. ;)

IMOG said:

If anyone is actually considering using carb cleaner, then this doesn't apply to you... Buy the fingernail polish remover that is unscented - it has less gunk in it and will dry cleaner.

Works real well for the hard junk that melts in such as used on so many vid cards these days. The finger nail polish remover should state PURE ACETONE on it, thus avoiding the nail softening, hardening and scents which will obviously coat the gpu/cpu.

Lighter fluid makes it just peels right off. It breaks down the pad, and turns it into a paste-like compound, easy to get off then.

thanks for the posts i used a credit card to scrape it off then 70% rubbing achohol(all i had at the time) and it worked fine.

Back