• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Shrimp Farm Completed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bubba gump

Well, after some selling and some buying, I still have money left over...maybe for another layer...maybe not..but here goes the pics and specs of my mini-2layer farm folding work units :)

2layer-1.jpg

Sorta a centered pic...kinda..showing the guts of this farm sitting on a "nice" piece of plywood that was sittin in the garage.

2layer-2.jpg

Closer pics up on the 1600+ layer and a bit on the 1.3 Duron layer.

2layer-3.jpg

Closeup on the 1.3 Duron layer.

Specs for the 1.3GHz duron are: M7VKQ Pro mobo, pc2100 256Mb (had lying around, luckily it worked) old vantec hs (bougth a while ago), CPU and onboard everything.

Specs for 1600+ layer are: M7VKQ mobo, 128Mb pc133 i think, volcanu 6Cu, CPU and onboard everything.

Both are running off of 2 450W TruePcPower PSU's I got for 20 bux each off of directron a whilea go.

Total cost: ~240ish I could have gotten better deals I know..but I have funds left over..

The plan was to leave these on 24/7...but there are "safety" reasons that the parents find....guess I will accept their views..heh

Hopefully I can convince em...maybe I can, maybe I won't.

They usually fold about 8-10 hours a day, sometimes more, usually 24/7 (i "tend" them) on the weekends.

They fold for For_Those_We_Lost (a subteam) and they do get some points in every couple of days :)

Maybe I will add more layers soon...and if I am then definately I will build a better "rack" system for these..hehe

Fold and Frag on
Brian

What's the "safety" reasons?

I just got my 2nd board up and running sitting on top of a crate, I need to get them both wired to the same PSU and then build them a rack to hold them. I'm also doing them 2 at a time, can't afford 4 at once right now! :D

They think their gonna catch fire...*sigh*...gotta find some hard facts showing that the heat they put off isn't enough to incinerate this piece of wood :D

But it does get warm in the room...all that means is I need to get a big box fan :D

I'll try to get a way to convince em...i know they aren't worried about elec costs, coz I told em I'd pay for it and they agreed...

Fold and Frag on
Brian

I just got a layer up myself. Its my first that's caseless. That makes 6 boxes running off overclockix CD's plus one that's HDD-installed. Hmmm, wonder how much money I saved on HDD"s and OS licensing....

Keep up the good farming!

Well, at a minimum I think you've saved....600? Whats the cheapest microshaft OS, 100 bux for winme? but that can't run services so we'll go w/winxp home for 93 bux...then again do they still sell win98?

Hmm...gonna try to find some hard facts on the heating issues....if there are any to find..hmph

Fold and Frag on
Brian

Arkaine23 said:
That makes 6 boxes running off overclockix CD's plus one that's HDD-installed.

Have you figured out the terminal services part yet where you have 1 layer with the CDRom and the rest boot from it?

As far as the heating issues go, you may want to rethink the layout so the boards have area all around them for airflow. Then get a few 120mm case fans and 7 volt them for silence but still plenty of airflow so the heat won't build up around them.

Well, currently I'm working on a way better mounting system (vertical, sort of like how they are in a case) so there is more area for air to get around..and more space :D but ya, I'm gonna need to invest in some ATX 20-pin extendors (not only for dual off of 1 psu) to make it easier to locate em...but ya I will work on that tomorrow...

Then hopefully I can order some decent 120mm fans, and strategically mount em :)

Thanks for the help!

Fold and Frag on
Brian

Fast420A said:

Have you figured out the terminal services part yet where you have 1 layer with the CDRom and the rest boot from it?

So far that has eluded me. However, I can install it to a 2.5GB hdd, then configure it as my netowork's DHCP server and turn the terminal service. Then I can network boot other machines on my LAN. HDD's that small are about as cheap as CDrom drives. ANd you get a pre-configged samba, so you can use the network folding scripts in Overclockix to let the terminla server also serve the folding directories to the other boxes. That way they can have a permanent place to store their wu's, and EM3 can monitor the progress of the whole yatta beast.

I suppose I should work on a guide. It wouldn't even be very hard for a layman to setup. Might take as long as 2 hours.... and if the whole thing ever had to be rebooted, it would take less than 5 minutes per layer to get back up and running.

I'm a newbie to Linux but I did get overclockix up and running but I couldn't get it to save the WU's to the HDD that I had on the rig running overclockix. I have an Athlon Slot A with 512k Cache ready and waiting to be the server for a diskless setup as well as fold itself, all I need to do is get this terminal services running but then what happens with my router if this is running the DHCP server? Is there a way to have the farm cluster on 192.168.2.xxx so the router keeps everything else under 192.168.1.xxx?

You should disable DHCP in your router if you want to try running TS on overclockix.

As for folding wu's on wu's to a local hdd-

1) The easy way:

Mount a HDD partition (not NTFS) or USB pen drive, by right-clicking its icon and choosing mount. Right-click again and choose change read/write mode.

Now go to the kicker (aka start menu).

K > Knoppix > Configure > Create Persistent Home

Choose to make a small persistent home directory rather than using the whole HDD partition- about 40mb is enough but make it as big as you want.

Done. Now you have folding, seti, or prime as well as all your personal configurations permanently stored.

Boot with the cheatcode:

knoppix home=scan from now on, in addition to any other cheatcodes you like.

You will still need to run cfgfold when you reboot, because the startup script for folding will overwrite your client.cfg file with the default client.cfg file.

2) The manual way:

You need to mount the partition and make it writeable (this can't be done with NTFS). You can do this in KDE by right-clicking drive icons and choosing mount, then change read/write mode.

Now you need to become root and kill your folding client.

su
foldoff

Now move the folding directory to a new location on a hdd.

mv /home/knoppix/fold /mnt/hda#/fold

Now create a shortcut where the old folding directory used to be.

ln -s /mnt/hda#/fold /home/knoppix/fold

now restart folding as root:

sudo foldon

If you reboot the procedure is a bit shorter.

mount your partition again
foldoff
rm -rf /home/knoppix/fold
ln -s /mnt/hda#/fold /home/knoppix/fold
sudo foldon

Last edited:
bubba gump said:

But it does get warm in the room...all that means is I need to get a big box fan :D

Fold and Frag on
Brian

With just 2 layers?? Ack I have 6 computers in a small 12x10 room in the basement all folding 24/7 with no real temp issues over the whole summer.

Heh, pengui is right.....our cold time is usually right before summer everything gets all gloomy and hazy....and its like that a lot through summer....at least on the coast near my town (I live relatively close to the coast, but the marine layer never gets to us :cool: )

Fold and Frag on
Brian

*edit* and epauls, thats the same size room mine is, I have other stuff in there, and the air flow in here is horrible...need to install some blowholes and cut out those constricting grills :cool:

"I just got a layer up myself. Its my first that's caseless. That makes 6 boxes running off overclockix CD's plus one that's HDD-installed. Hmmm, wonder how much money I saved on HDD"s and OS licensing...."

Sounds exactly like my main rig!!!!! overclockix on hdd though cause I wanted to play America's Army on it.

One question though, are those pcs networked together or just dhare internet?

Cable modem > 4 port router > 8 port switch > 9 computers with 2 open ports remaining (4 use overclockix at my house, 3 at the office use overclockix as a temp replacement for broken HDD's)

I haven't tried network booting and using my HDD installed overclockix as a terminal server and DHCP server... yet.

Hmm...they've been down for a couple days becuase I have been trying to make a rack for em...hopefully I can just get some metal rods from home depot later...that way it will be much easy than relying on a pseudo-sliding system w/wooden blocks...

They shall come again soon! Ph34r teh overclocked shrimp :D

Fold and Frag on
Brian

Back