• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What new processor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

supraway

I've decided to get a new processor since prices have gone down so much. I was thinking between a 1 and 1.3ghz Athlon, but I am confused. I have the Abit KT7-E which has the KT133E chipset. I can get 140+ fsb with my Duron 800, but I was told that if I was to use an Athlon designed to run at 133, I would only be able to push it to 115fsb. So, theoretically, I would be running a 1ghz/100 @ 140 fsb, and a 1ghz/133 @ 115. WTF@$#@!!!!! I would rather buy the 100 chip. Well, any ideas? Post me please.

Next little thing, what would be the best processor with the least heat? I am probably going to be running at about 1.9-1.95vcore (I believe the voltage mod works with the KT7-E) with an Alpha (maybe going water soon). Right now, I run between 32C idle and 47C under Half-Life and Prime95 Torture. I am going to try to stay under 55C, but I want to reach high speeds. What is my best bet?

Thanks in advance, guys.

Supraway,

How are you getting so low Idle temps. I have a 800tbird just bairly clocked to 875 at 1.85v because of the heat. Used to be at 1000 at 1.98v but it got too hot with a Alpha pal 6035 and temps where at 58C at 1.98vcore. Now back at 875mhz my temps full load is 51c idle is 47. I have 6 case fans and temps are still high.

Newguy123

A few things it could be. Durons naturally run cooler, but I have my Alpha seated following exacting specifications by Arctic Silver (which I use), plus I have an exhaust fan pulling hot air from around the processor out of the case. I have the 26CFM fan (forget if it was Sunon or Y-S). I tried running mine with an orb at this speed, got the overheat warning at 65 C after about 2 minutes, and shutdown at 75 C after about 5 minutes.

If you can run 140 fsb with the duron, you should be able to run 140 fsb with any other chip as long as it can take it. I think the comment that you'd be limited to 115MHz fsb was probably prompted by the fact that the KT133E is officially only rated to 100MHz, not 133, but it seems to be able to do 133 no probs. If yours can cope with 140MHz, and you get an athlon that can also do 140MHz on the fsb (which I think most should), there's no reason you can't run at 140. To be sure of getting a chip that can do 140 I'd go with one of the 266 tbirds - and if you're on a bit of a budget go for a 1-1.1gig chip. You could go with the fastest you can reasonably afford, but the faster you go the harder it will be to cool - 55C is a very likely temp with an Alpha, I'd switch to watercooling soon if I were you.

Thanks. I can get a 1, a 1.1, and a 1.2 for all the same price. Lets say I do watercooling, and maybe even a peltier :) what would be the best? (All about $114)

yeah I just read a piece about that mobo and you should be fine! the 1.2tbird 266fsb is only 110.95 shippped see cyber deals for info.

I'm kinda leaning away from the 1.1... haven't heard too many great things about it... heard the 1ghz Athlons will do huge overclocks, but that isn't where I'm leaning. Probably what is going to happen is I'm going to build a watercooling rig (maybe even peltier :)) and run it for a while on my Duron 800, seeing how far I can push it. Once everything gets nice and tidy, stable, or whatever, I'll purchase an Athlon (word has it from an AMD sales rep that came to my company the other day, AMD pricing is changing at the first or second week of July)

Back