• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

136 fsb is my limit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tomas

Well some time ago, i decided to get myself a new cpu... It was one of latest palomino xp2100+ i think it was the axda... which should have no problem going over 2ghz.. Well my asus a7v133 board seemed to max out at 136fsb, if i raised it more, it would not even post... it was severely unstable at 136 also... i was sure it was the chipset/ram that was the prob, but now i am really not so sure anymore...

You see i got myself a msi kt3 ultra2"kt333" today... It still maxes out at 136-137fsb! i cannot even reach 1800mhz on this thing :(

So what do you guys think? do i just have a sucky cpu? or is both motherboards being the reason?

specs: ram: pc3200 "cl2.5", gfx: gf4 ti4200
temp: low 40ish idle, 45c loaded... <---- so definitely not a heat issue..

The motherboard is the reason, at those bus speeds the PCI/AGP bus is running to far out of spec.

I believe with that board that once you hit 166FSB you reach the 1/5th divisor and your back in spec again, you can try that if you like but I doubt your CPU is going to like that, it's a pretty huge overclock for a pally.

There is not much you can do unless you modfy the processor so you can manipulate the multiplyer. Then you can lower the multiplyer and set the bus to 166+ and all is good. At this point though the motherboard is definately the culprit the processor no doubt has plenty more headroom.

Full Systems Specs Please.

What PCI cards do you have in there? How big is the PSU?

thanks for the replies... i guess i will have to get myself a new board then...

The psu is 450watt, voltages looks fine: +5v=5.03 +12v=11.88v 3.3v=3.28v
i use default vcore so far... did not make much difference on my old asus mobo atleast.

Well i had really no pci cards in it, except for a realtek 8139 and a pinnacle studioDV firewire card..

166fsb will probably be way to much for this cpu, especially since temps are allready in 40s

What about the nforce2 boards? do they have better divisor?

What is really annoying is that a friend of mine managed to get a 2100+ of the tbred version, just 2 weeks after i bought mine... He managed to overclock it to 2.08ghz on a old msi mobo with kt133a chipset...

The Nforce2 boards do not have a divisor, they have a locked PCI/AGP bus so no matter what you do with the FSB they will stay in spec.

I would recommend the Abit NF7 or Epox 8rda as good overclocking Nforce2 boards. They can be found dirt cheap.

I'll be selling my NF7 in the classifieds in a couple weeks ;)

Time to get that Athlon64 :D

I have not seen any abit nforce boards here, but i have this brands to choose between: Asus, MSI and soytek.. which one should i get?

Definately not the MSI.

The Asus A7N8X in my experience has been incredibly picky about memory. But others might have a different opinion.

The Soltek boards have a reputation of being good overclockers.

Well judging by your original statement - if it is a Palomino (in which case it will be an AXP not an AXDA) then it is not surprising you can only hit 136 FSB as these are old cpus with extremely limited headroom and can only get to around 1.8GHz on air cooling. What we need is the full stepping on your cpu or if you could run WCPUID to helpus determine if its a Tbred or Pally.

Last edited:
1. You should be able to get over 136 FSB
2. The NForce boards have a PCI lock, and a user selectable AGP bus (not locked, but can be set to 66mhz)
3. Try removing all the PCI cards and seeing how far you can get. \
4. You can also force the 1/5 divisor on bellow 166, and see if something is holding you back.
5. Where are you located that you cannot find an ABIT NForce MBs?

Well judging by your original statement - if it is a Palomino (in which case it will be an AXP not an AXDA) then it is not surprising you can only hit 136 FSB as these are old cpus with extremely limited headroom and can only get to around 1.8GHz on air cooling. What we need is the full stepping on your cpu or if you could run WCPUID to helpus determine if its a Tbred or Pally.
Well i know it is a palomino... I dont recall the exact stepping, thats why i said i was not sure, but i checked it when i got it... Most of them did around 2000-2100mhz on air. And i doubt a palomino would handle less fsb than a good old thunderbird?

3. Try removing all the PCI cards and seeing how far you can get. \
will try that again today... will post the results later

5. Where are you located that you cannot find an ABIT NForce MBs?
Norway.... I checked a few online shops, but so far only found msi, asus and soytek

How bad would international shipping be from a place like NewEgg or something. Maybe save up and get a BUNCH of stuff, that way the high shipping costs don't kill you. I'd HATE to not be able to buy the certain parts I wanted, JUST because I'm in a "different" nation. Bummer!

136 fsb is awsome for Palomino with no voltage increases. Whats that...1768mhz, thats more than what i got on my 2000+ Pally with air cooling (coolermaster hhc-001) and a voltage increase from 1.75 to 1.85.

With water i can get 1831mhz completly stable on my 2000+ pally, buying a new mobo that can allow for 2.00+v on the vcore.

Simply put you will NOT get 2.0ghz stable on air coolign...period. w/o a voltage increase of at least to 2v you will not acheive 2ghz stable and then its still luck that you will ever get 2.0.

Whereever you read that crap about 2.0ghz disregard them, they are a bunch of liars, probably live in canada and get freezing cold air and are ungodly unstable.

How bad would international shipping be from a place like NewEgg or something. Maybe save up and get a BUNCH of stuff, that way the high shipping costs don't kill you. I'd HATE to not be able to buy the certain parts I wanted, JUST because I'm in a "different" nation. Bummer!
Sadly this country is stupid, i gotta pay expensive taxes if i buy something that costs more than 200nkr/28$ :cry:

But the good news... i just found a norwegian online shop that had them: Abit NF7 V2.0, Abit NF7-M and Abit NF7-S V2.0
I guess any of these are good?

Simply put you will NOT get 2.0ghz stable on air coolign...period. w/o a voltage increase of at least to 2v you will not acheive 2ghz stable and then its still luck that you will ever get 2.0.
I guess a new cpu is only way to go then... :mad: I guess i will have to get a new cpu also then... barton 2500+ are decen overclockers right?

Well I have the NF7 and so far it is the fastest board that I have ever owned. Granted I had an old Epox 8KHA+ that was super fast for KT266a (but I killed it). Unless you want Serial ATA and good onboard sound I would just get the basic one. REV 2.0 is guranteed to do 200mhz FSB, and it does, and more.

Okay, thanks for all the replies. Will be ordering that board next month then :D

Well if you are going to order a board make sure you get a new cpu as well - you will definitely not get much improvement from that pally just by buying a mobo as the limit is on the cpu - nothing else. A PCI lock is irrelevant on your cpu as unless you unlock the cpu (which is not so easy on a XP2100) then you are stuck using the 13 multi and can only raise the FSB and even at say 140FSB with the 1/4 divider on your mobo it is still only a frequency of 35Mhz which is not going to cause any problems. The maximum you can expect to achieve on that cpu with normal cooling is about 1.8Ghz with ANY mobo.

If you wanted to go for a new cpu you could try a 2600+ T-bred 266fsb. I have heard of many people pushing the fsb up to 166 on the kt3 and acheive 2600mhz+ (3300+), that would be a route to take if you like speed and dont care to deal with changing out the mobo, only prob is those cpus are a little hard to find these days so expect to pay ~$110 with shipping for the cpu.

Its your choice though, i myself will be getting a Abit NF7 simply because i have water cooling and 2.1v through the core wont be a problem for me to cool. I think my 2000+ can break 2.0ghz daily use, and if i burn out my proc i get another excuse to buy a Applebred ;)

Oh, by the way Water Cooling rox :)

Back