• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this a good OC for my i7 870 to help bottlenecking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigmike35

Registered
I was wondering if this was a good OC and settings for my i7 870. I don't have screenshots as I am at work but was just wondering if there are things to change or if it is fine as is.

Stock Settings:
CPU: i7 870 (2.93GHZ with boost to 3.2 - stock rated)
MB: GIGABYTE P55A-UD3
CPU Cooler: Zalman 90CC 120MM (I believe but a aftermarket one)
RAM: G.SKILL ECO Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) 7-7-7-24-2N
GPU: GTX 760
BCLK: 133
Multiplier is unlocked in BIOS so instead of 22x it is set at 24x then boost kicks up to 27x so it runs at 3.2 already then the boost is up to 3.5.

As of now, stable for a week, even under prime and intel burn test. Temps go up to around 70 using intel burn and 66 using prime. Ran prime for 45mins one day and maybe hit 70. I just re did my thermal paste and fixed some cable management and added a extra fan behind the hdd ports to blow air on the cooler/mb.

My BCLK on my mb maxes out at 168 for stability, and my multiplier only goes up to 24x. I have it setup for 157blck with a multi of 24x giving the CPU 3.768GHZ, voltage is 1.260V. I also have all power savings enable (so it goes down to 9x when idling), boost enable (have to have enable to get the 24x), load line cal enable, spread spec disabled. Since the turbo boost is enable, clocks speed goes up to 4.239GHZ (27x). It hasn't BSOD, running bf3, bf2, far crys, l4d2 and I see the turbo kicks in as well, when monitoring temps, I see around a max of 60 on the cores but mainly 55ish. When idling, cores are around 25-30C (for some reason, my main cpu temp doesn't read anymore unless in BIOS) which hovers around 33-34, so Im assuming it gets into the 40-50s which is still ok. My ram is backed down to a 8x to give it 1256MHZ and timings are 6-6-6-20-2N (won't go any lower, fails to boot).

CPU: 1.260V
QTT: 1.29V (Stock is 1.1)
DRAM: Set to 1.5V (Ram is rated from 1.35V-1.5V)
Other are stock PCH and the other one (Can't think of)
Rest are set to auto.

Is there anything to change or look at differently. The reason to leave turbo boost enable is because if not I can only use 22x (23 or 24 wont stick, dont know the logic behind that). Is this a good OC?

Thanks

probably wrong section, sorry, didn't realize I was under this section

Disable Turbo and lower the multiplier to x20 w/ the BCLK set to 180 = 3.6GHz to start. Adjust the DRAM multiplier to x6 = DDR3-1080, and manually adjust the timings and DRAM voltage to 7-7-7-24-2T at 1.5V. Leave all other voltages and sub-timings on Auto for the time being, other than the Vcore (Core Voltage) set to 1.15V.

Disable Turbo and lower the multiplier to x20 w/ the BCLK set to 180 = 3.6GHz to start. Adjust the DRAM multiplier to x6 = DDR3-1080, and manually adjust the timings and DRAM voltage to 7-7-7-24-2T at 1.5V. Leave all other voltages and sub-timings on Auto for the time being, other than the Vcore (Core Voltage) set to 1.15V.

I can't go that high with my BCLK, after 168, intel burn test says it fails. So it kinda sucks that I have to stay below 168, so thats why I have picked 157 at 24x

You've tried the settings exactly as I posted?
No, I am not at home right now, but from testing myself I know. I lowered the multiplier to like 12 or so (lowered ram speed as well), boosted the blck to 180, and it would boot and run, but wouldn't pass intel burn test, dropped down and tested and 168 was the passing mark. Also, when stock settings and when turbo boost kicks in to reach the 3.5 makr, I know the Vcore goes up to 1.2V at least

Redduc can't help you if you don't let him. Put his settings in when you get home.

No I completely understand where y'all are coming from. My next question would be, say it does pass, would the next step is to go up in bclk/mulit and raise voltage? Is what I have now not equivalent to what he/we are looking for?

Update: Last night, I went home, loaded optimize options, reboot into bios, set up my blck at 185, multi to 13, Vcore to 1.2 for testing purpose, ram default timings @ 1480 (1333 stock) and it ran fine. After dropping blck to 180, mutli to 22x (3.960), ran fine with upping to voltage to 1.248-1.264, stable test passed on prime and intel burn. Qtt voltage was raised to 1.25. LLC enable, Vcore set to normal to use Dynamic Voltage (now voltage changes from .990 idle to 1.248/1.264 load). Temps ran about 70/73, so I think I could get a lil more out of it or be satisfied with what I have now. For fun, might see what I can get out of it, pushing into the 4+ range. Thanks for the help, after all, it was the ram that was hurting the stability with lowering the timings.

Back