• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Too hot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jay2182

Registered
Hi all, new here.... shuttle xpc/p4/9800....Too hot?

Hi, I'm very new to this forum (1st post) and relatively unknowledgeable about this sort of thing and i have a question.

I just got a Shuttle SB61G2 xpc with a P4 2.6, 1gig ram and a 9800pro. After reading this forum for a week or two i had a look at the temp read outs in bios after playing various games and the 3 temps have all been around the 50/51/52 mark (not OC'd anything).

Are these the sort of temps to be expected? Where the fan on the 9800 is located is quite close to the side of the case. Doesn't look like it has much room to suck in air which is a bit worrying.

Anyone got much experiences of these cases? Any advice/tips much appreciated.

cheers

Last edited:
WELCOME TO THE FORUMS! :D

Anyways, what type of heatsink, and how many fans do you have? That should help us give some estimates as to what your temps should be like.

Those temps are to be expected on a Original Equipment rig.
To OC you will need to get a better HS setup.With the P4,I'd
recommend the Thermalright SP-94 for your HS.Run it with a 92mm fan.It comes with clips for 80x25mm/92x25mm/92x38mm.
You can go to thermalright.com and check it out.Check the support page for a complete install guide and parts list.
THE FANMAN:cool:

Thanks Cam/archilochus :)

Not sure about the heatsink, will have to ask the lad that put it together for me but I don't think its anything special.

Same with the cpu fan. I'll have to have a look tonight.

The fan/hs on the 9800pro is stock. Only other thing is the fan for the powersupply and the shuttle ice heat pipe unit.

From what I can gather, those temps are acceptable but maybe at the upper end of acceptable?

The marketing blurb for the case talks about compartmentalising of the case and airflow etc etc so i'm not sure i've got anything to worry about or that i want to mess around with it after it sounds like they've given some thought to cooling in this small case with the ice heat pipe etc.

Just want to get a few opinions tho ! :)

Yup shuttle run warm no matter what it seems, expecially if OC'ed. Remeber that your playing with a small space with quiet a bit of heat so don't expect the temps we get.

Also a SP-94 might not fit in there. It is a larger heatsink and might not clear the componets in the case.

I know I'm looking at a shuttle down the road for my GF so this would be some nice info because i'd pass down my CPU to her.

I did have a look at the sp-94 and it looked big. I'm not too bothered about OC'ing at this stage anyway, was just curious about the temps I was getting.

Thanks again

That being the case.You may want to lap your stock HS.
Clean everything up and use some quality thermal
interface compound.This will get you the best stock cooling you can obtain.THE FANMAN:cool:
PS: I think deathman20 did it to his system at one
time and got better temps from his OE setup.:D

Yea archilochus I did get better temps when I did lap it. That was with my original heatsink that I got with my 1.6a CPU. I dropped 4C when I lapped mine. I was tempeted to lap my SP-94 but I'm getting good temps on my setup so why wreak a good thing :D. Besides I can't overclock this CPU any further so why should I be worried with lower temps hehehe.

Back