• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

will a burnt ram chip ruin my new board?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sucky noob

i recently fried one of the pins on my 512 ddr chip, as well as the motherboard (i put it in backwards). im wondering if i try to test this in my new motherboard, will it ruin my new motherboard?

Dependingon how it was fried it might. IF a short was created somewhere in the stick of ram, plugging it into your motherboard could cause big problems.

If you now the ram stick is physically damaged there isn't any reason to find out. There aren't any extra parts on a memory module.

well i fried it by plugging it in backwards. do you think that it created a short?

I think your problem is that you're not sure if the RAM is damaged or not, since you took out your first motherboard when you plugged it in backwards. If there's visible damage (scorching, scratched or chipped contacts, etc.) to the pins or the chips on the RAM, I wouldn't do it (unless you're eager for a motherboard RMA). It's likely shot.

If it looks OK, I doubt you've managed to fricasee the internals that badly (how did you get it in backwards anyway? They only fit one way...) Test at your own risk.

A computer repair place might have a RAM tester, which would tell you if the stick is still usable without endangering any of your equipment. You could also try the manufacturer if it's still under warranty.

Back