• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP Installation Error - Pic

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AGampher

This thread is related to the same problem I was having earlier.

I am trying to install Windows XP Home onto a friends computer (I have wiped it and am starting over). I get numerous errors every time I install. Every time its something different, but similar.

The latest try I switched from installing from the CDRW to the DVDROM, and I got past the initial Windows setup screen, only to boot into Windows to finish the installation (39 minutes remaining screen) and have it give me this error.

Anyone have a clue? My next step is to switch out the RAM and see if thats the problem. I don't think it is as I am able to hook up a separate HDD as the master (and the current one as a slave) and it boots successfully.

Argh!

When that happened to me last, I just went into BIOS and disabled all of the caches and shadows. "Video BIOS Cache" or "Video BIOS Shadow" was the faulty one on my machine. To this day, if I turn it on, Windows won't boot.

Failing that, try the bios safe defaults for the install.

It could also be hardware that's messing it up, try removing non-essentals, if the above didn't work, add them back after it installs.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tr...prodtechnol/winxppro/reskit/prmd_stp_hwpg.asp

i was having the same problem and found it was a stick of bad ram try removing 1 stick at a time

Apparantly it wasn't just one bad stick of RAM, it was two! They went bad at the SAME TIME. That's crazy! I've never heard of that happening before. No wonder I couldn't figure it out. I finally ripped both out and put in one of my own and it worked like a charm.

Go figure. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your help guys.

I believe they were both Samsung. The labels look almost identical to Crucial, just without the Crucial part.

As badly as I've seen RAM treated and still work, it's one of the most fragile components in your system. The slightest amount of static discharge can cause a pinhole in a stick and take it down in no time.

Back