• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PCI vs. AGP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CaTfOoD

I recently ran SiSoft Sandra and found that my gf4 ti4200 was pci, not agp! I didn't need to go in the case for any reason so i never bothered to look. I had this computer built for me back in January 2003, and thought that gf4 ti4200's didn't even come in pci. It is starting to lag a bit on full settings in some games such as halo and Empires: dawn of the modern world. I am wondering if getting the same card in an agp format would improve performance alot? I could probably resell it where i got my comp and convince them to get me a deal, b/c i kinda got ripped off by them. I just thought that all modern vid. cards were agp by now. ALso, right now, in video properties it says AGP 2x: (Pci mode). I find this strange that it says it is in 2x agp but is in a pci slot. WTF is going on here?

Well, if you do in fact have a Ti4200, it is certainly an AGP card. They never came in a PCI model.

There is some sort of "PCI" function involved with the APG slot. Beit bus communication, or something... I don't really know.

The original AGP cards (1X) were scarcely any faster than PCI cards. AGP 2X, and certainly 8X, of course have greater bandwidth.

However, like everybody else says, yours is an AGP card in an AGP slot.

If you got your Ti4200 jammed into a PCI slot without breaking off pieces and now have a video output, your are one of the luckiest people alive and should go to Las Vegas, or just go outside and pick up that briefcase of a million dollars that fell out of that Billionaire's limozine that just drove by.

CaTfOoD said:
well, gf4 ti's are agp 4 or 8x right? if so, why is mine running at 2x with no way to change it?

What kind of motherboard do you have? Have you checked the bios to see what AGP speed it allows?

I never knew they made a pci ti4200 but ive heard of radeon9100s made in pci so I guess one company mighta made a pci ti4200 for those comps without an agp slot like yours

i dunno, it's a powercolor though?? By the way my mobo does have agp...8x too! I just don see why they would give me a pci then??

I had a Ti4400 in PCI ,so they do make Ti's in PCI...just open the side pannel and give it a peek and you'll know if its AGP or PCI....the AGP slot is abot 33% shorter than a PCI slot,and you'll only have 1 AGP slot(directly above the PCI slots)......hope that helps

I had this kind of problim b4 with my first AGP computer. AGP 4x GF2 running in PCI mode. I fixed it by updating my chipset drivers for the motherboard. Try using the latest VIA 4in1 Drivers for your board http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=300

If that doesn't help try searching the forums, I have read alot of posts regarding this matter in the past.

BTW U should open the side just to make sure its a AGP card and not a PCI... Although I am sure it will be a AGP card

PCluva said:
ACTF_Heat, I am wondering about the Gf3 in you sig, I didn't think Nvidia made a Geforce3 MX... I thought they were all Ti's?

i think he means geforce 2 mx 400 since they didnt make a mx 400 g4 and i dont think that they made a geforce 3 mx card...i might be wrong anyway i would update your mobo drivers(go to their site dl and install) then go to your bios and their should be an option for what agp speed u want and set it to 4x or 8x depending on your g4

Back