• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I could have sworn I seen a thread with a picture of an Asus board with a fan glued to the northbridge heat sink. I did a quick search though and couldn't find it...

If my memory serves me correctly, they glued a 40mm fan to the top of the sink, with a dot of hot glue on each corner.

Never tried it myself (have the same board), though it looked like it would work fairly well, and would be really easy to do.

Most NB's are about 40mm so a 40mm fan would work fine. I have 60 mm fans blowing on my NB's on my folding farm boards and a 40mm Vantec Iceburq on my Epox NB.

i have a fan super glued to my GeForce4 Mx 420 heatsink

I works well

just a little dot on the corners and 10 mins later active cooling

I want to be able to take my fan off you know.....plus the heating(40 c) wouldnt melt the glue? Would regular elmars glue do it? because thats the only glue i have

i need to know if elmers glue would work?
For those of you who dont know what elmers glue is, it is what preschoolers and elementary kids use(its non toxic) and it glues paper pretty tight.

no most people don't, elmers glue *should* work, but i don't know if you could remove it anyway. and not hot clue will not mess it up.

Elmers glue is good for porous materials; I don't think it will adhere well for the P4P800 heatsink.

I use a tiny dab of superglue in each corner of a 40mm fan to attach it to my P4P800 heatsink. If I need to take it off (and I have), I just hold the heatsink and gently twist the fan, and it pops right off. You don't need much to hold a 40mm fan anywhere.

Heatsinkguy said:
Ya but how do i attach it?

Epoxy. It's a very strong bond, resistant at high temperature (the silver epoxy doesn't lose any of its properties at 450 degrees) and can be very easily disolved with tholuene (at least the one I used).
This might be an expensive solution though...

I would doubt elmers glue would work it is made for little kids to gule paper.

it proably won't hold metal to plastic as for heat i don't think that is a problem

Most of the time the top if the heat sink shouln't get about about 35c
do your little kids projects fall apart in the middle of the summer?

I ment that the temps the glue would experince wouldn't make it fail

here in minnesota it gets to like 37c and that should be hotter than a nb heatsink

but i still doubt elmers glue would hold metal to plastic very well

ya...unfortuenly i have no other gluer in the house and too lazy to go buy super glue

Back