• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A question about a page file, can YOU answer it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeoMortis

Registered
If I have this setup:

Raptor with XP Pro installed on it.
7200rpm Storage drive.

Would I be better off with my page file on the Raptor for its higher speed, or on the seperate drive? Speed wise.

hmm? :)

first how much ram do you have.. if you have a lot there is a good chance that you won't even hit the page file.. if you do video ediding or any think like that you might.. i usaly is better to put the page file on a sepeate partition that the os... hope that helps some...

Still the seperate drive, because otherwise you'll lose a lot in contention with the page file confined to the OS drive. The Raptor's extra speed really won't make much of a difference.

I have a 15k SCSI as my OS drive and a WD800JB as a storage drive, and sending the pagefile to the storage drive is still faster. I tried both. But gaza is also right that if you have 1 gig+ of RAM the pagefile isn't much of an issue anyway (for normal usage).

Back