• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ceramic vs organic packaging

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

@md0Cer

Ive searched and searched and i havent come up with anything so i might start a thread on it. Why do the Athlon FX's use ceramic, and the old tbirds, but why is everything else organic packaging? Does it matter which is used, are there benefits to using a different one vs the other?

TIA!

A64 Organic:

1063963274qjhbzk4xzd_1_5_l.jpg

Athlon FX-51 Ceramic:

1063963274qjhbzk4xzd_1_1_l.jpg

Last edited:
well my guess would be it alows for a bigger area for the heat disapation. this way the processor will run cooler while more watts of heat are generated.

or they knew people chip the cores of there organic core so they made them with ceramic so this would not happen.

Cost is a part of it, but there is also other advantages as well, namely, improved dielectric materials in organic packaging.

It could be that AMD found a better way to implement ceramic packaging, and is using it on the AthlonFX.

You can read about the differences of organic vs. ceramic CPU packaging from Intel here:

http://www.intel.com/technology/itj/q32000/articles/art_1e.htm

Last edited:
yea probably. They migth make the organic for the opterons becuase it looks more expensive/higher quality. Although I like the nice color that the organic is vs that dusty violet. I do beleive that the older durons as well as tbirds were ceramic. I remember someone saying something about how the ceramic packaging is much stronger and ALOT harder to make keychains out of vs the organic, so maybe they need a stronger material to hold the greater number of pins during the manufacturing.

How about protecting the bridges (now pcb traces) from picking and manipulatiion. Organic you can scratch through, try scratching through a Ceramic PCB. MUAHAHHAHHAAAHAHAA:cool: :p :D :attn: :-/ :burn:

I don't think that that is a reason as AMD has shown that even though we can scratch through the organic to get to the bridges, we still can't do anything with them on the barton.

Gnufsh said:
Isn't the whole top of the FX covered with an IHS anyway? Now you have to get through the ceramic in addition to a big hunk of metal.

Well, ive seen people get the IHS (Integrated Heat Spreader) off of the P4.

So on these new ones I think i remember seeing a pic of one with the IHS off, and i could not see any bridges, so i assume you mean that they are submerged underneath the PCB instead of exposed like on the K7's?

ill try to go find that pic.

I cannot find it anywhere. I did find pics of the fx-51 and the A64 though. THey are in my origional post.

Last edited:
Back