• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AA levels

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CamH

I've already posted this in another thread, but I thought it was some good info that deserved its own thread. It wasn't even relevant to the first one it was in, really. :D

Here's some screenshots that show the affects of AA on IQ: http://morongames.com/AA/

If anyone wants some other resolutions or AA levels, let me know. I'd be happy to post them.

WTF, why does 640x480 look a crapload better than 1600x1200? i dont believe any of this pictures are labled correctly.

I think

its because AA really is made for lower resolutions to make em look as good as higher res without aa. Maybe?

Harry

No, they're definitely all labelled correctly, sir. :D It's just that resolution isn't everything. That's what I was aiming to show with these screen shots.

Re: I think

harryinny3 said:
its because AA really is made for lower resolutions to make em look as good as higher res without aa. Maybe?

Harry
Bingo, we have a winner!!

Though to REALLY see the awesome difference AA makes, video is required (so that you can watch all the jaggies change "shape" as you move without AA, but perfect lines with AA :D)

JigPu

I just looked at them, and the bigger problem comparing 640x480 to 1600x1200 is that they're not the same size. 640x480 fullscreen on a 19" screen, even with great AA, is going to look blocky. Use Photoshop and zoom in the 640x480 pic to be the same relative size, and it won't look as good.

See I learn, Too bad others cant

On my screen i can tell and see a big difference with AA at lower res.

Harry

yeah, AA kicks @SS....

I've been playing alot of madden'04 lately....
this game just screams to use AA.

running at 1024x768 and 4X AA, seems to not only look better then 1280X1024 and no AA, but I think I get better frame rates.

mica

Try it at

1152X864 with those aa and af settings you will get a few more frames per. 1024x768 also looks really good with those settings.

Just a thought.

Harry

here is how it is. The higher the res, the mroe pixels, which more in the same space means, they are smaller, therefore, harder to see individually, and thus far, they look more smoothed out. Anti Aliasing blurs the edges of things, to make them look smooth. Granted, AA makes a bigger difference in lower res, this is only because the changes it makes are more apparent, but just as great none the less, as high res.

1280X1024 with 4XAA will always look better then any lower res with 4XAA. if possible, higher res with less AA is prefered, as higher res allows for crisp, clear textures and low levels of jaggies, while low res with lots of AA offers low detail textures with low jaggies.

I would prefer 1280X1024 with 2XAA over 1024X768 with 6X any day.

Back