• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

windows server 2003

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rashio_UK

hi,
just wondering, does any 1 have this OS?
and is it any good compared to xp pro(performance)?
i will just be using it like xp pro, gaming and this that and the other, no networking.
so do u think it is worth getting server 2003 if i already got xp pro?
and is it faster than xp pro?

thanks ;)

U can't use it for gaming or anything really it's really alot different than 2000 server was, I got about 90 boxes running it right now & it Roxors but for your question yes I am using it but no you can not use it as a workstation, well not without alot of crap.

Quick question to those using win 2003.

I am currently contemplating on getting it and setting up a dedicated server in my office. I currently have 6 computers connected to a router, and for the most part there is one computer that is being used daily by an employee while it also serves as tho a pseudo 'server'. It stores a lot of the company files and such that the rest of the pc's can connect thru on the network thru a router and make use of. This has been working fine so far but I have a feeling I should for reliabilities sake put together another pc that will be sitting around in a closet to act as the server. That and the fact that the files will be safer there for many of reasons. I occasionally have employees connect to their pcs from home to do some work thru remote desktop, i have not been able to yet setup vpn on the win xp systems however the remote desktop has been working fine. Only drawback is it does not allow employees to print things on there home printers, hence vpn would be nice to have access to the files.

Currently this is the only thing I can think of that win 2003 will come in use for. I am not too aquainted with its other features and benefits... Can anyone fill me in on whether its worth the buy? And what I can do with it that I cant do with my current setup? Thanks a bunch.

Well I know with Remote Desktop "Terminal Services" you can print & share drives go to properties of your remote desktop connection & click resources tab.

I don't know exactly what you are wanting to do so I really could not say if 2003 has these capabilitys or not all I was trying to say is 2003 has less stuff running in the background than 2000 did even though 2003 roxors it doesn't meen whatever software you are wanting to use has been made compatible with it.

btw Windows Server 2003 is XP's server version.

To run Win2k3 Server as a desktop OS is absurd, merely for the sheer amount of crap you have to slog through to get it working right. Even then, you can't be sure that everything will run on it w/o a lot of headaches.

Personally, I'd stick w/ what you have installed right now. Leave 2k3 Server alone until you have a server to put it on :)

Well I was just about to start a thread about my experiences trying Enterprise Server 2003 as a workstation. It hasn't been great so far. I got a free copy by attending some Microsoft function. 25 user license - no time out.

So I'm building a new system (Asus A7N8X-DX Barton 2500+) and figured I'd give it a try. There are several sites that tell you how to run it as a workstation (this is one www.msfn.org/win2k3) and I did most of it. Runs fine. Until you try doing stuff.

I just installed my new Radeon All-In-Wonder 9600pro video card. Windows warns that a driver isn't logo approved. I continue anyway. And then reload the previous system from Ghost when it won't even boot afterwards.

Here I am at the ATI support page. What OS is having the problem - select one. Guess what isn't listed?

I tried DVD-Decrypter. It ripped fine but can't write. Is the problem the drive or the OS? How should I know?

I'm going to use 2000 Pro I think.

Oni said:
To run Win2k3 Server as a desktop OS is absurd, merely for the sheer amount of crap you have to slog through to get it working right. Even then, you can't be sure that everything will run on it w/o a lot of headaches.

Personally, I'd stick w/ what you have installed right now. Leave 2k3 Server alone until you have a server to put it on :)

i really have to disagree, on all of my pc's win2k3 wins noticably faster then xp, on my laptop <128mb 400mhz> photoshop opend in about 50% of the time it takes xp, it seems to me that 2k3 has LESS running in the background and manages smaller amounts of ram much better then XP, i can have 2k3 working perfectlin 15min after installing it so there goes you "sheer amounts of crap" theory, and have NEVER had any problems with 2k3 that was not fixed by finding a 2000 or xp driver, even for older (1997) hardware. I have been using Windows 2003 since beta1 and it has NEVER crashed, my windows xp has, and i am running it on 3 our of 5 pc's. It the best OS i have ever used and NEVER plan on going back to 98 or 2000.

Anyone who is even contemplating using Windows Server 2003 is either using a version that will time out in 120 days, or is using a warez copy. No one pays $1000 for a Server OS to use as a Workstation OS. Also, I believe doing what you are contemplating violates the EULA.

actually there are some of us who have MSDN :) and a few got 360day versions from MS if you were in beta1 beta 2 and all the RC's

And If you happen to know a MS employee, they can get stuff insanely cheap for you. That's how I got my two full version copies of XP Pro for $20 a piece

acesea said:
Quick question to those using win 2003.

Can anyone fill me in on whether its worth the buy? And what I can do with it that I cant do with my current setup? Thanks a bunch.

Depends on what you need it for. For a small office its not really necessary. Thats why MS has small business server. SBS 2k3 can be set up to run your internet, intranet, filesharing, remote desktop, exchange server, and more. Its really cool. I set up a SBS two weeks ago.

If you just need file and print sharing then just set up a XP box.

server 2003 is more for medium sized businesses or webservers.

KraziKid said:
Anyone who is even contemplating using Windows Server 2003 is either using a version that will time out in 120 days, or is using a warez copy. No one pays $1000 for a Server OS to use as a Workstation OS. Also, I believe doing what you are contemplating violates the EULA.

Not true. Microsoft has been on a campaign to grab developers. I went to a user group meeting about 2003 (Enterprise Windows SIG of New York PC Users Group) and every person attending got a free Enterprise Server not-for-resale. No timeout, 25 user license. Not to show up on Ebay!

I went to the launch event of Office 2003. Every person there, over 1000 easy, received a voucher for a free copy of Office 2003. The real one. It is due somewhere near the end of November which means any day now.

All this said, Win2003 was MUCH faster than the 2000 I'm working with now. However I did have problems with the ATI drivers although maybe an update will deal with it. I may go back to using it.

I posted earlier in this thread uncertain whether to try w2k3 or not- today i decided to give it a try. Put together a new system: gigabyte ga-7n400 pro2 (k7 triton), amd xp 2500+, 2x 512mb, powercolor ati 9200 129mb se, 2x 40gig maxtors running in raid 1, and i think thats it for the hardware.
I seriously JUST installed the OS and am finishing up with the drivers and all, but as dgk posted earlier regarding his ATI AIW 9600pro problem- I get the same thing. I install the driver, upon reboot it tells me it doesnt see any existing ati card (at least something along these lines) and closes the app. Not that big a deal for me I guess since I will be running this server w/o a monitor.
So as of right now, wanted to let you all know where Im at. Ill post later down the road how everything is going and whether there are any problems (which is inevitable) or not.

For those fairly familiar with win 2k3, any chance you could post some tips or whatnot. This is going to be my first attempt at running a server such as this with a server os.

O yea, last thing is I need certain files on the server to be very secure, in the sense that I cant lose them. Hence the raid 1, but I will also be using an external 750mb Zip drive that will automatically make backups. Anyone have anyother suggestions to be on the safe side? Thanks.

Peace.

I had the same problem with my R8500, installed the 3.9 drivers and it was gret from there....

Edit: I have been there since Beta1.. and i have this copy which is a 360 Day evaluation....

I have not registered yet as i only do tests on this machine....

I still cannot use it as i need corparate software like Norton AV 2004 to be able to install it on my version of 2k3 EE....

acesea said:
For those fairly familiar with win 2k3, any chance you could post some tips or whatnot. This is going to be my first attempt at running a server such as this with a server os.

O yea, last thing is I need certain files on the server to be very secure, in the sense that I cant lose them. Hence the raid 1, but I will also be using an external 750mb Zip drive that will automatically make backups. Anyone have anyother suggestions to be on the safe side? Thanks.

Peace.

Well it does have that shadowcopy thing MS is bragging about. not positive what it does though. You could also get a tape drive or dvd burner for probably $200 or less for backup if you need more than 750 megs. Ezcd creator 5 doesnt work. We're using the software that came without sony dvd burner. Seems to work fine. Some hardware that works with XP wont work in 2k3.

There are alternatives to buying symantec corporate. Other companies have antivirus software that will work on it.

if you havent noticed the msfn.org article you might want to read it.

i THINK it keeps copies of what folders looked like in the past, like day you delete 1/2 the folder, if shadowcopy was used (is uesed?) it will have those file or images of those files somehwere on the drive.

Um, ya'lls problems with the ATI drivers are due to 3d acceleration being disabled by default. AFTER installing the drivers u will need to go to the advanced display properties "options" tab, and slide the hardware acceleration slider all the way to the right (its disabled by default). Then u will need to run dxdiag, and on the display tab, be sure, dircetdraw, D3D, and agp texture accelerations are all ENABLED. Since this is a server OS and not a multimedia OS, all these functions are disabled by default, and this prevents the ATI drivers from loading 3d support, therefore the ATI control panel sees no drivers and closes out. Easy cheesy.

ANYONE who is planning to use this OS for workstation, should have a look at this guide. If you follow the steps, u will have a fully functional gaming/entertainment OS that is newer than XP :D. I did it just to see really, been running it on my web/DNS/game server for 6 months or more before i stubmled across this guide and installed it on my main rig. I absolutely love it, have had no troubles from it, and have also found it to be the quickest and most stable OS i've used.

so by all means, give it a try, but be sure you read this guide k? ;)

J.

LiNkAge

http://www.msfn.org/win2k3/index.htm

*u can even use themes written for winXP. :D*

I'm running s2k3 as a workstation/desktop on my Abit NF7-S and its great. I followed the guide and it worked fine.

BTW the free version of AVG installs and works great. No need for expensive server AV versions.

Back