• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Driver problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

starfire45

i don't know if anyone else is having this same problem but...from 45.23 and up i've been having problems with the nvidia drivers. maybe every 16hrs or so of being on, the drivers give way. how do i know this? when i leave and turn off the monitor and come back say the next day (i have an active life at college) and the computer is restarted and i get the nice error reporting window stating that windows has recovered from a fatal crash and saying that the device and drivers responsible are the NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Drivers/ Windows 2000/XP NVIDIA Display Driver. right now i'm at 52.16. i got these ones from the windows update site though i had the official nvidia ones when they first came out and had the same problems. i even got the updated offical nvidia drivers and had the same problems. i even removed/uninstalled all of the old files before installing and same effect. i also tried the 53.03 beta drivers from guru3d and had the same problems. i have the BFG Asylum FX 5200. until i upgraded to 52.16 i never had the problem. even when i downgraded to 45.23 i had the problem so any ideas why this is happening?

Don't sound good dood...

1) What version of Windows are you running? (if XP, please specify if it's Home or Pro)
2) Did you use an app like NastyFileRemover to completely clean out your old video drivers/registry entries associated w/ video???
3) Have you tried rolling back to v44.03???
4) What are your clock freq's and system temps? Could maybe be a heat issue???

boing

i'm on XP pro w/ all the latest updates. i tried NFR but all it makes is a dink osund when i click the shortcut. my processor clock speed on the fsb is at 145mhz. my system temp is usually below 30C and the cpu is usually at 33C when i'm not running games and gets up to 49C when i am playing graphics intensive games. i never installed 44.03 so i can't rollback.

well, problem could be windows itself. We all know windows always have bugs. If you can, try reinstalling windows. Otherwise, uninstall your video driver, use Nasty File Remover to remove the remaining nvidia files, reboot your computer, then install the latest 53.05 driver.

been there, done that. i've done both of them a few times. nothing changed. so yeah, i think i'll just buy a new video card. can't decide whether on an ATI All-in-Wonder 9600 or an Nvidia.

screenshot

here is a picture of the error reporting screens i get when the drivers fail. i've just upgraded to 52.16 from 44.03 and i still hgave problems and also sometimes the screen will lock then go into 640x480x8 and won't fix.

Attachments

• crap.jpg
    crap.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 114
Back