• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help need linux sound card driver!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fazz33

i have toshiba satellite 1800 laptop
model number PS183C-00VF1,
when i boot up linux it says i have a M5451 PCI AC LINK controller audio device, now...when i try to play a sound or something...NO SOUND!!!, then when i try to test the sound it says its not a linux compatible device, and i was woundering if anyone could help me by finding out if there is a linux driver out for it.

thx :D

"
Sound :
ALi M5451 PCI
This chipset uses the trident module.
Just select the module 'Trident 4DWave DX/NX, SiS 7018 or ALi 5451 PCI Audio Core' in the kernel menu and add yourself in the audio group."

it says it needs that module, so try modprobe trident or whatever the name it is (you can most likely find the name if it isnt triedent by #cd /usr/src/linux
#make menuconfig
#sound blah blah blah (if its 2.4)
then go over to the trident module, and select the help file...
or you could jsut google it some more thats where i got the info from

actually, you might want to just use hotplug, install it on your system then see if its there

okw ell try

#modprobe trident

and see if it loads it (if it doesnt have a error message type)
#lsmod

and see if its loaded

if that doesnt get it

install the program hotplug it will auto load the modules for the devices it finds on your pci bus

but if you dont have the module that your sound card needs in the kernel level programs

you'll have to find some way to install it (which for a "noob" will take a bit, but its not too complicated, ill post it if this doesnt work)

Back