• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me with my Asus 9800 XT please?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Docta_Z

Hey guys - after finally reformatting my cpu and installing the card - seems to work pretty well - except I load up 3dMark to benchmark my system and it rates rather low compared to similar systems.

So I look at the details more closely - the standard clockspeed of the 9800xt is 410 mhz - and when I reboot and check "SmartDoctor 2" (asus's version of a program to manage core speeds/memory speeds) it says 410. Super - but once I run 3dmark - I check my results and it says my core is 365 mhz - I go back to "SmartDoctor 2" and the bar that controls core speed is at the absolute minimum - 360 mhz - I press "defaults" and it jumps back up to 410 - resets the screen and hums away.

Run 3dmark again and it's back down to 360 mhz.

Whaaaat is going on?

Setup

A7N8X Deluxe
XP 2200+
Asus 9800XT (with latest Asus/ATI blended drivers for it)
1024 megs of pc 2700

My score is irrelivent - but this problem with resetting the core clock speed is pretty annoying and most likely happening every time I play a 3d game.

Please offer some suggestions and help - Thanks guys.

Is your CPU overclocked at all? Overclocking the card is rather pointless as your CPU is one hell of a bottleneck for it stock

No it's not - but my point is... 412 Mhz is not overclocking the card - that's default factory set.

I run 3dmark and it UNDERCLOCKS the card...

Its only a "bottleneck" in turns of generating performance numbers on 3dmark2001.

Which version of 3dmark are you using? I would try using a oc'ing utility to verify speed of gpu. Also, i would recommend using 3dMark 2003 (that said, i wouldn't trust the numbers generated by 3DMark too much, they seem to report slightly lower clockspeeds, though not in the number that you are reporting).

Back