• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

USB 2.0 Cardbus Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mysphyt

A few quick questions. I'm looking for a USB 2.0 card for my laptop, and everything at Newegg looks like different names on the same crappy product. Is there any difference between brands for this sort of thing? What should I look for? Are the cards more reliable than they appear? Mind you, I don't know enough about the companies to be going off of anything more than appearance, but given the low prices of the stuff they've got, I'm wont to question the reliability of this stuff. Thanks in advance for your help.

If your buying from newegg go with the cheapest, they have an awsome RMA policy and if its a USB 2 cardbus its gonna give you usb ports no matter which one you buy.

Bump. I just bought one of these USB 2.0 + 1394 combo Cardbus cards (the Link Depot one : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815107111 ), and it is making my Dell laptop w/XP Home very mad ;) . It won't recognize my FW Hard Drive (it shows up in the Device Manager under Disk Drives, but it is not functional). If I use USB from the same Hard Drive, it says "Unknown Device" and I still can't access it.

I also tried my new USB 2.0 802.11g WiFi Keychain card, and it completely locks up my Laptop if I plug it into the Cardbus port.

My Laptop is spec'ed to accept Type 2 Cardbus 32 bit cards, too, and the Dell 802.11b WiFi Cardbus card works flawlessly on the same port.

Both the USB Hard Drive and USB 802.11g keycard work fine (but S-L-O-W) on the Laptop's native USB 1.0 ports, and the Firewire connection on the Hard Drive works fine on my 2 Desktop PC's - so it is not my perhiferals causing the problems...

Any suggestions on a USB/1394 Cardbus card that won't lock-up my laptop? All 5 or 6 of the ones at NewEgg appear to be identical with different graphics, and different prices...

Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Another Bump of this ancient thread. Who makes a GOOD USB 2.0 + 1394 Cardbus card that is not identical to the "Link Depot" one I linked to above? This USB 1.0 on my laptop is so stinking S-L-O-W!!!

Thanks much :cool:

Those look kewl, but I'm also needing Firewire, and I only have 1 cardbus slot on my laptop. I was hoping to get the USB/1394 combo card, and use my new USB 2.0 802.11g mini-adaptor, so I can have my WiFi, Extra USB 2.0 ports, and 1394 ports all from my 1 Cardbus slot.

Thanks for the link. I love Newegg, but I think all of the combo cards they carry look identical to each other like the thread starter mentioned (probably the same card w/different graphics and packaging). I'll keep looking, but it is not looking promising :( .

If anything, I might just sacrafice my USB 802.11g's speed by using the Laptop's native USB 1.0 port (only operates at 802.11b speeds on USB 1.0), and buying a Firewire only Cardbus Card for my portable HD and my Sony Camcorder w/1394.

Last edited:
Back