• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

15,000 btu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cuda

I have been reading through the extreme cooling threads. Since I have zero experience with phase change, I have a few questions.

I have a 15,000 btu window air conditioner that is being retired in the spring. It actually works pretty well, but the wife thinks it's getting too ugly.
Is this way too much overkill for phase change cooling?
If not:
Is the block used for phase change much different from that used for water?
Would I have to use the large condensor with it, or could I use a smaller one?
Could I get it recharged after all modding is done?

One final question: Do prometias give a btu rating?

well it would work but it would be noisy. you can recharge it also if you wanted to but if it has r 12 it would be a good idea to change it to r134a

i use 2 compressors for my setup from 2 mini fridges and all i did was put the cold plate in a small waste can and my temps are very low

Is it difficult to change to r134a? And is there a maximum distance between the compressor and the cpu? I have a crawl space under my machine and was thinking of putting everything under there and running the cooling lines up through the floor. On that note, are there flexible cooling lines?

5-8k is a good range for a starter unit.

r134a is easily changeable, that is, compared to others. because you can get it in small quantites at local stores, and it requires no certification.

yes they make flexible cooling lines, they are more expensive than hardline obvoiusly, but i cant say ive ever seen one past 2 or 3 ft that anyone used. not to say they dont make it, but dont put money on it.

Why not just make a waterchiller out of it?

Should easily give you -25C water temps.....

sandman001 said:
Why not just make a waterchiller out of it?

Should easily give you -25C water temps.....

How would I do that? -25ºC seems pretty cold for water.

tgp said:
5-8k is a good range for a starter unit.

r134a is easily changeable, that is, compared to others. because you can get it in small quantites at local stores, and it requires no certification.

yes they make flexible cooling lines, they are more expensive than hardline obvoiusly, but i cant say ive ever seen one past 2 or 3 ft that anyone used. not to say they dont make it, but dont put money on it.

I don't need to modify anything to change to r134a?

And what if I use hard lines up to the floor, then flex lines from there? Is that possible?

i think that running your compressor under the floor would screw up your oil return. you can easily make a chiller that fits in your case. . . well according to nunez, some of us dont have that kind of skill. as for water chillers at -25C, you dont use water, you would be best off with methanol at 30% or 60% strength. antifreeze is no good that low, btw.

as far as recharging your system, by law, you have to capture the r-12 in your system, so you can use that to refill your system when you are done. ask someone more knowledgeable than i to give you instructions on this. and another thing, switching to r-134a makes the system less efficient. it is a replacement for r-12 that doesnt hurt the atmosphere as much when released, but it is less efficient. it is used in newer cooling systems.

If you chang to r134a you will nead to chang the oil in it. That a big compressor for that. Ask a hvac tec if you can put the compressor under the floor and thay can remove the old r12 from it for you. The evaprater is special unit it takes more pressure than water block and i think you will like this thrid here

correct me if im wrong, but with a larger compressor, cant you take advantage of it and use a more restrictive metering device to get better temperatures?

from what i understand, you can use more cap tube to get a good vacuum in the evaporator and that will lower the temp, but only so much.

yes you can but remember there a max preshure that youre punp will take. afther that point the compressor will brake. And some refgents like to be cold to go to a liquid.

Back