• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone else like hocky games?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC Noob

Just got NHL Hitz Pro and love it.

Nothing better then checking a guy through the glass:D

What hockey games do you guys like and is there an easy way to learn how hockey is played, like plays and all that good stuff?

I must say, Hitz Pro really make you feel like you're in the arena and in the action.

beer & hockey, heh.

I'd love ESPN hockey. It kicks butt. Have not played Hitz though....But it looks good except it's more like an arcade type hockey (right?)...I prefer more of a simulation type and ESPN fills that role well

I used to play the ea sports nhl game on my playstation. That game was soooooo fun. Unfortunatley I never have learne the actual rules.

tsk tsk Im originally canadian and I dont know the rules of hockey ;)

WHAT EVER Blades of steel was fun, but ICE HOCKEY was way better, replay value has carried on for years I still play it, in University it is a Prime Drinking game, when you are bored blasting away againt the computer or an equally bored friend is awesome, some one needs to turn ICE HOCKEY into a Flash game.

ICE HOCKEY drinking game.

Every time you score take a drink
Every time a Mass brawl happens you drink for the extent of the Brawl
between each Period you have a Drink.

in a Nintendo 7 minute/Period game actual time about 15 minutes, 2 men of ample drinking abilites can consume 4-6 beer each, with out realizing it until they stand,

Well I have been with EA's NHL series since 93 on the old super nes, but once 95 hit the pc I've been playing them on pc ever since. Now while ea has made some bad choices in the last few years in regard to thier gameplay this years version is pretty much spot on in the feel department. Also nhl2004 has some videos that you can watch that will teach you plays on offense and defense if you don't know the rules. Also for the record I found Blades of Steel to be far more superior than Ice Hockey, while I avoid the hitz series because it feels too arcadey for my tastes, heck after 8 years of goaltending you start to demand a little more realism from the hockey game.

On an unrelated note a few things I would like to see incorporated into upcoming hockey games are. 1)When players fall to the ice snow gets on thier jersey/equipment 2)Seeing the actual teams intro instead of some lame one the devs always come up with 3)The option to drive the zamboni to clean the ice between periods. Other than those the hockey genre has been advancing nicely but slowly in the last few years. Oh and another thought, I think it would be cool if they made a hockey game using the doom 3 engine, man would that ever look sweet.

Yeah, Hitz is very arcadish. They moved to 6 on 6 vs the old 3 on 3 which I really like, but I'm way more of an arcade fan then a sim fan. The exagerated (sp?) action apeals more to me since I don't utilize 90% of sim game features like all the franchise stuff in Madden 2003. No sense in having all that stuff for casual play.

One thing that would really be cool, though, is bunch more animations. You can only see the same hit and head over heals fall so many times.

The Phoenix Coyote's arena is like a block away from my house now, maybe I'll really get into it and get more into the sims. First , I need to learn more about the game from somewhere atleast slightly entertaining;)

Thanks for the info.

Take a look at nhl2004 seriously. You can set it up so that it acts arcadish or pure sim if you want. Also it has tremendous hit animations (probably about 15 of them) and the hit animations look very realistic if that's what you like :). Man with all this talk of hockey I just have to say GO FLAMES!

i played a hockey game with a bunch of friends on xbox, dont remember which it was but it rocked

GOD Macktruck said:
I have both Blades of Steel and Ice Hockey for NES and they both rock, but i find myself (and my friends) usually play Ice Hockey

but i dont like any of the newer hockey games.

: ) :

I agree. new hockey games are no fun, the old ones like Ice Hockey are simple. If I want the complexity of a new game, I'll play Hockey on the ice, or in the street.

by the way, would you mind telling me the copy right date on both ICE hockey and Blades of Steel,

I still have Ice Hockey, but usually just play it on my Axim. It seems better then BoS IMO, but maybe thats because its easier.

I'll try NHL2k4 and ESPN 2k4 when the 2k5 games come out and they drop to $15:D

I had a hard time paying $40 for hitz Pro, it is just too easy to wait a year and pick them up for nothing vs the $50 they are now.

Anyone ever play the XSN (Xbox) hockey title?

ps Hitz Pro, unlike other Hitz versions, has TONS of game play options so I guess I can strip the arcade right out of it and turn it into a very sim-ish game. Haven't tried, and probably won't, but I just found that out looking at the manual and the menus. There are a lot of AI tweaks.

I've read nothing but bad reviews about microsofts xsn hockey game titled Nhl Rivals2004. Good graphics but bad gameplay, bad controls and bad ai. stop by ign xbox or gamespot to read reviews on it.

GOD Macktruck said:
Ice Hockey is 1988

my copy of blades of steel is torn up so i can't tell

sorry

: ) :

ACK Blades of Steel was really the one I wanted HA, I knew Ice hockey was 1988 or 1989, and can confirm it this week end, but no one that I know still has there Blades of Steel game

Back