• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do you create a bootable system floppy disk??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
but i dont want to reinstall windows.... srry if i dont understand how that works, but at the place where you download it at it says something like:

"The Windows XP startup disk allows computers without a bootable CD-ROM to perform a new installation of the operating system. The Windows XP startup disk will automatically load the correct drivers to gain access to the CD-ROM drive and start a new installation of Setup. You cannot upgrade from a Windows XP startup disk."

how will this let me flash my bios? srry again for my noobishness

cause to flash my bios, the mobo website said that after i create a startup disk, move the flash.exe and the new bios (ex: p4tv8.bin) to the startup disk, then at the prompt type a:\flash p4tv8.bin

really new at this.... :(

Alright, what you need is a DOS boot disk. Go here:
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
And download the file for DOS 6.22. That'll download an executable - run the executable with the floppy in the drive, and it'll make it into a DOS boot disk. Make sure the floppy is blank first! Next, copy over the files you need for the BIOS flash - follow your motherboard manufacturer's instructions on this. Once you reboot, the boot disk should take you into DOS. You can flash your BIOS from there, again per your mobo manufacturer's suggestions.

*Edit - I wouldn't flash your BIOS if you're not comfortable doing it, or if you're doing it just for the heck of it. A bad BIOS flash can ruin your flash ROM and make your motherboard unable to boot. :eek:

Also, never ever EVER turn off your computer while the BIOS is flashing, no matter what!

Thats the HARD WAY, the easy way is to right click on the floppy drive, and click format. There will be an option to format it into a bootable disk.

Yuriman said:
Thats the HARD WAY, the easy way is to right click on the floppy drive, and click format. There will be an option to format it into a bootable disk.
Easier way still is to open the DOS prompt, and type in SYS A:

No formatting involoved :D Just copies bootfiles :cool:

Either of these methods will require you to put on the files on the A drive that you'll want. Or just make sure they're executable under DOS and somewhere on the C drive.

MSCDEX /d:IDECD000 /l:Y :cool:
JigPu

Back