• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are ther erocker switches that can work as multiple switches?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheFrag

Well, I plan on modding my x-box. The first mod will be putting the dvd reader thing inside the box. To the right of the 4th controller port there is an open space where I am gonna cut a whole so the reciever part is visible and thus useable. For whatever reason, each controller port is wired to with a LOT of wire put ina ball. I want to take the wires that lead to the controller port and split them so they not only go to the controller port, but half way through the wire, it runs off to the dvd thing in what I guess would be a parallel circuit. However, I need a rocker switch that can switch between the dvd thing and the controller port which would invole the switching of 5 wires (Or so I assume, as that is how many USB has...). I hav elimited knowledge of different kinds of switches and was wondering what these would be called, let a lone if they exist.
Thanks.

I'm sure that they exist somewhere, they would be 5PDT switches but I bet they would be very rare. Another thing to do would be to use a simple SPST switch controlling 2 3PDT relays (you would have a terminal left over, but 3PDT relays are fairly easy to find).

Well, There are 4 wires in a usb port, the 5th one is just a secondary ground.

Of these 4 wires, two of them are for data ( Data +, and Data -), and two of them are for the 5v power, (VCC, Ground).

You should only need to put a rocker switch on the two data wieres (the center two pins of the USB port http://www.networktechinc.com/technote.html ) The 5v and grounds can be directly wired to both without any issues. For the switching of 2 wires, look for a DPDT (Double Pole, Double Throw) also known as an A-B switch or On-On switch. Double poles means 2 wires that are switched simultaniously, double throw means 2 positions. There is also a viariety known as Center Off, or A-Off-B, or on-off-on where the switch has 3 positions, the middle connection acts as an off; you dont want this kind of switch.

If you can find a 4PDT switch (Four Pole, Double Throw) get one of those, that will let you switch all four wires, These switches may be harder to find, and will take up more space in you X-Box.

Good luck, post back with your progress and additional questions!

thanks Iron Hawk. So I really only need the DPDT switch, but I could use 4PDT if I wanted to be able to control the power, correct?
Thanks again, that was very helpful.

Back