• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PoE+ switch that can actually power all ports

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

petteyg359

Likes Popcorn
The only PoE switches I can find that have enough wattage specced to do full power on all ports are regular old PoE (no plus, 802.3af, ~13 watts), but I think I will need more power than that (an RPi 4 power supply is ~15 watts, and I do intend to load them up with sensors and CPU usage).

I don't want to use separate injectors and splitters, because that just makes the rats' nest twice as messy as having a single power brick for each device.
I don't want to have twice the number of switch ports I need just because each switch can only power half of its ports.

Anybody know of any PoE+ (802.3at, ~25 watts) or PoE++ (802.3bt, ~50 watts) switches that can actually provide full power to every port?

Have you considered the Cisco Meraki hardware?

https://meraki.cisco.com/lib/pdf/meraki_datasheet_ms_family.pdf

I'm not sure about their current pricing, but when I was in IT for a 180 employee company, they made my job a hell of a lot easier. Their cloud interface is easy to use, and every port on the switches worked for PoE.

I hope that helps and isn't too expensive for you. If I had more than a couple of computers where I live, I woulds be seriously considering getting one for home use.

The MS350-24X and MS355-24 and MS390-24 can actually do 802.3at and better on all ports, so yay, but they're $3000-$5000 for used and refurbs on eBay and upwards of $10,000 new... Seems a good option but the wallet is going to hurt. Need to save up for a few years... Also not really enthusiastic about Cisco managed stuff. I just want a switch that is dumb in every way except for PoE negotiation.

The hardware in consumer routers these days is pretty damn good; you just have to replace the software, so with everything "IoT" in homes these days, WiFi being as unreliable as ever, and new homes having pre-wired networking as an option, I'm a little surprised PoE devices haven't been commoditized like regular switches and routers.

Last edited:
The MS350-24X and MS355-24 and MS390-24 can actually do 802.3at and better on all ports, so yay, but they're $3000-$5000 for used and refurbs on eBay and upwards of $10,000 new... Seems a good option but the wallet is going to hurt. Need to save up for a few years...

If I remember right, 3 years ago, we paid about 40K for 5 24port switches and 2 48 port switches, and I think the service was about $5K a year after 3 years. But we might have got a discount on it. I'd heard they had some closer to consumer level pricing, but I guess not that great. Sorry about that.

was not sure how to find that out, had one in a pile of parts. that is when my dad was working and dealing with security installs/maintenance. not sure if it works or how to tell if its working as it should.

Unifi claims up to 34.2 watts per PoE+ (802.3at) port and 17w per passive (if no 802.3af or at) port: https://dl.ubnt.com/datasheets/unifi/UniFi_PoE_Switch.pdf

I don't think it will do the full wattage on all ports, though. How many devices and how much wattage are you looking at, total? Some of their bigger switches will probably work for what you need, but it isn't going to be cheap.

Back