• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best bang for the buck?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

willlangford

I am looking at building my new rig. i dont want to spend more than 300 bux on a cpu. it doesnt really matter amd or intel i just want the most power for the buck! i am looking at a p4, athlonXP, Opteron, or Athlon 64.

waht do you all think is the best?

thanks,

~William

JustinGB said:
I would also like to know. I was thinking if buyign a amd xp 2500+ is a good processor for the money

Depends on if you have to buy a new mobo. For the rpice of a 2500+ you can get a 2.4C. These 2 cpus O/C about the same

If you have a AMD mobo already go for the 2500+

if not go with intel. The newer AMD 2500+ are locked:mad:

JustinGB said:
I would also like to know. I was thinking if buyign a amd xp 2500+ is a good processor for the money

Depends on if you have to buy a new mobo. For the rpice of a 2500+ you can get a 2.4C. These 2 cpus O/C about the same

If you have a AMD mobo already go for the 2500+

if not go with intel. The newer AMD 2500+ are locked:mad:

Lot's of people will have different opinions, and I'm not going to bother arguing. If you want to get the best performance for the apps you use, you'll have to look at some reviews.

But I will tell you what I would buy right now.

I would buy an athlon64 3000+ with probably a soltek mobo and some good RAM. That's because I'm into games and the p4 gets spanked by the 64 in games.

But I would advise to wait until the sis755 and nforce3 250 chipsets are released.

Even though socket 754 is allegedly going to die, that doesn't mean that you can't make a kick-*** system with it RIGHT NOW. Personally, I don't buy into the hype that it's better to wait for the "superior" socket 939.

Personally I'm not buying any of these yet though as I just bought an XP 2800+ which is unlocked and o/ced very nicely so I'm happy for now :D

Back