• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems with xp install on RAID

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

[BAST]Dozer

Can someone help me??? I'm trying to load WinXP on a RAID 1 (two 40GB hard drives on Epox EP-8K7A+ motherboard with built in RAID controller (a HotPoint HPT372 onboard controller).

During the install, we've F6'd and loaded the latest SCSI controller drivers for the HPT372. Everything up to this point, including settings in the BIOS, all look okay. However, the install hangs at 51% of formatting the drives. No matter what steps we have taken we cannot get past this point in the formatting of the drives.

Help???

[BAST]Dozer

Its a pain but you might try formating them separately in a nonRAID mode. Sounds like one of them has a bad sector or more.

deeppow,

Thanks for getting back to me. The board I'm working with has an intergrated controller, the hard drives are cable selected into the UIDE1 Connector on the Motherboard. The CDROM,CD/RW, and a omega zip drive is connected to the IDE1 and IDE2 Connector on the motherboard. Do I disconnect the IDE and connect the hard drives to the IDE connector or is there a setting in the bios that will allow me to format in a nonRAID mode???

I'm a bit new to RAID and how to configure it, any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Dozer

If They are wd drives they dont come formatted.You can put them 1 at a time on ide and run setup to format the drives.as soon as it is formatted it will reboot so yuo can shut it down at that point and format the other.Afterwards you can put them on the raid channels and run the installation.

Yup, shadowdr got it. There isn't any difference in a RAID format from any other so you're just trying to force a format. As shadow said, stop the install after the format is complete. If the format fails on one of the two then you've found the problem. If they both pass then we'll have to scratch our heads a little more. :cool:

problems with xp on RAID

Thanks guys,

That did the trick, after formatting both drives seperately over the IDE connector I was able to load the OS with no problem.

Thanks again all!!!!

Dozer

Back