• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading from a Ti4200... your thoughts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CPFitz14

My little brother is looking to get a new computer, and doesn't have too much money. After picking out all of the essentials, there was about $75-$90 left in the budget for a video card. After thinking it through, I thought maybe it would be worth him buying my ti4200, and getting a new card for myself, for relatively ~$80 off.

Basically I'm looking for something in the $100-$125ish range that will give me a little bit better performance than my ti4200 64mb. DX 9 capabilities would be nice.

I'll admit to not being too up to date with current graphics cards, but here's what has looked a little bit interesting at newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-135-134&catalog=48&depa=1

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-131-217&catalog=48&depa=1

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-131-221&catalog=48&depa=1&section=4

The cheap 256mb interested me, the 9600pro is a little steep for me, but still of some interest. I read in the reviews that the memory speed is slower though....not sure on that.

-CPFitz-

Oh, also, i've only got AGP 4x. I've heard that 8x doesn't really help yet, and probably not for these cards, but you guys would know better than I would.

youd probably be better off buying him a ti4200 and keep yours. dont get anything slower than a 9700 pro.

a 9600xt isnt much better than a 9600 pro. the 9700np is clocked very low and hardly faster than a ti4600

Overclocker550 said:
a 9600xt isnt much better than a 9600 pro. the 9700np is clocked very low and hardly faster than a ti4600

Depending on the situation

And since when has clock speeds had anything to do with performance (and since when do stock speeds matter on an overclocking board) :rolleyes:

If you intend to go nvidia DO NOT get a GF FX 5600Ultra! I went from 4200 to 5600U and I got some sort of DX9 but the raw horsepower was gone.... If nvidia then nothing less than a 5700Ultra if you wan't a real upgrade. If Ati? 9600pro/xt or whatever it's called. Sure the Atifanboys will be able to direct you...

im an ati fanboy and if you cant get at least a 9700 pro, then save up and get the ti4200 right now and upgrade again later

overclocker550 how can you call yourself an ati fanboy when you don't even own an ati card. of course you think a ti 4200 would be fine you haven't used anything better.
Cpfitz14 I'm sorry but none of those cards you listed would give you what you want. The 5600xt as they call it doesn't even carry bga ram on it and nvidia's version of dx9 on anything less than the 5700 series is unnaceptable. The 9200 isn't a dx9 compatible card its just a 9000 w/ 8x agp support and the powercolor 9600 pro ez is a crippled 9600. If you need to keep it under 150 w dx9 support try to find a refurbed 9600 pro or xt from neweggs refurb section. I've had good luck w/ video cards from them 3 for 3. if not even a 9600 non pro/ avoid the ez or se models at all costs are the only things that will be sub 120. I do urge a 9600 pro or better though if you want some longevity out of it. I played call of duty on my 9600 pro and while it certainly wasn't as good as on my 9800 pro it was playable. I've also played it w/ a ti4200 and those cards are showing there age. just my .02

Thanks for the advice guys. Looks like I'll be sticking with my ti4200. Not only because of what I've heard from you guys, but also because my brother just came home with a skateboard, throwing the whole, "getting his own computer" thing out the window. Of course, I can't say that i'm all that surprised.

Thanks again.:)

-CPFitz-

"overclocker550 how can you call yourself an ati fanboy when you don't even own an ati card. of course you think a ti 4200 would be fine you haven't used anything better."

Then whats that 8500 sitting there which got beat by my ti500? and ive experience my 9000 pro which I resold a week later cause it was equal to my mx440? I probably dont sound like much of a fan, but truth is I praise ati for their high end cards and Nvidia for their low end cards. and ive used ti4600s which I resold. im getting a super ti4200

Steven4563 said:
LOL OC550 u always on about your ti4200 face it man its crap :p

Compared to what?

The diminishing returns curve is pretty easy to hit with computer parts in general, and video cards in particular.

I'm running an older MSI Ti4200 128 in my system. It is still a good card. It plays IL-2 Sturmovik and Lock On Modern Air Combat just fine.
No, I can't turn on anti aliasing. But when I think of the amount of money I'd need to spend, at this time it simply isn't justifiable from a price/performance perspective.

There are other things in life.

Last night, I read someones post in Hyperlobby, where he said to someone bragging about his system, " for the amount of money you spend keeping your system uber, you could get a real pilots license!"
Think about that, flying a real plane instead of pretending to fly one on a computer!
It was an exaggeration, but not by too much.

It seems like just the other day the GF3 was the card to have, and they cost a little over $300.00.

Todays uber is tomorrows crap.

So when you are thinking about spending serious cash on small pieces of PCB and silicon chips, stop to think about what else you can buy with the same money.

Last edited:
don't buy anything over $100.
I wish i still had my radeon LE.
I've spent a little over $300 on video cards since then. There is a difference yet there isn't. I went from using a 9500pro to using a gf3 for a week. Yeah theres a good size image quality difference. But in all honesty it doens't matter. I don't need a video card to get unlock some secret gaming secret that another card can't do neither do I need a $500 video card to say I beat a game. As long as I can move in the game clearly see my opposition i'm fine (when you start getting fragged because of lag OK it's time to get a new card). The extra stuff is like a lotta extra detail I don't need. I do appreciate having it but it's just there ya know. (all any highend card like the 9800xt does is give bragging rights)
As long as you can run the game thats all that really matters.
If you want spend $500 to get rid of jagged edges and get cool image quality then thats fine but i'd rather spend $150 get a console that I can do a bunch of mods and stuff to and is gaurenteed to have games that support it for 2+ more years. Then spend w/e is left over on games and a 25inch + tv.
Thats just me though.
I have learned my lesson. Spending more than $100 on a single pc component isn't worth it unless you just wana do it or have the extra cash.

the ti4200 with full detail gets smashed all over the palce by other nvidia cards and ati card. If u like running your games like the Playstation 1 did fair enuff but i like my games looking nice

if you have a old video card like before geforce 2 it may look like a ps1. But you wouldn't be able to run much in the way of games anyways...

My mom has a TI4200 and I was playing NFS:U on both PS2 and the pc, the graphics were slightly different, but I'd say a TI4200 is a good card right now. Personally, I'm waiting until February for the 9600 series to dip a bit in price. I agree, spending thousands of dollars ever SIX MONTHS on a computer is absolutely retarded.

Back