• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2100+ - Palamino or Tbred?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dgk

My trusty old MSI K7T266Pro can take a 2100+ Palomino and currently has a 1600+. If I can find one fairly cheap at the PC Fair that might be worth doing. So, are all 2100+ CPUs Palomino or do I have to be more demanding? How can I tell whether I found one?

i have a 2100+ pally and it dosnet overclock worth a darn. Go TBRED as those are better knowng overclockers than the pally.

Palamino - Square Core
Thoroughbred - Rectangle

Example of two possible codes (there are different codes):
AQXEA is Thoroughbred A
JIUHB is Thoroughbred B

Last letter of that code determines the core. Heres a picture:
attachment.php

Thoroughbreds use less voltage than the Palamino's so they run cooler and can overclock much higher.

Craig

CCW said:

Thoroughbreds use less voltage than the Palamino's so they run cooler and can overclock much higher.

Craig

Correction, Palominos super suck at overclocking. This should be a more correct statement. LOL
I used to have a 2000 palomino and it overclocks from 1.67 to 1.74Ghz max. anything above that is unstable.

Er, re-read the statement, you will find it is proper English

Thoroughbreds use less voltage then the Palamino's so they (the Thoroughbreds) run cooler and can overclock much higher.

You were but you were also slamming down on my statement which you didnt read correctly thus I had to justify my statement so other do not get the wrong impression about what I said.

Craig

I can't speak on behalf of all Pally's just the 1800+ AGTIA :D

And it sucks. Stock: 1530MHz, Max OC (unstable): 1691MHz, Max OC (stable): 1668 MHz

I'm pretty sure a mobo that supports Pallys will also run TBreds (..if they don't my next upgrade might be mobo instead of CPU :eek: ), so go there if you can :)
JigPu

CCW said:
Example of two possible codes (there are different codes):
AQXEA is Thoroughbred A
JIUHB is Thoroughbred B

AQXEA is a Barton or Thorton stepping code, not Tbred-A. An example of a Tbred-A is AIUGA.

JigPu said:
I'm pretty sure a mobo that supports Pallys will also run TBreds (..if they don't my next upgrade might be mobo instead of CPU :eek: ), so go there if you can :)
JigPu

Not all motherboards with support for Palominos will accept Tbreds. The Iwill KK266 and KA266 are two perfect examples. :rolleyes: In fact, this page over at MSI's website says that the K7T266 Pro cannot support Tbreds, and it maxes at 2000+ for Palominos.

Edit:JigPu, what kind of motherboard do you run?

Hmm. My bad. I have the Pro2, which should be this. Hopefully, I can take the tbred. Actually I have the Pro2-RU, which has raid and ethernet. I shouldn't even need to behead a capacitor. Well, let's check ye olde PC Fair and see what bargins can be had.

No, edit here. That is the Pro2-U. My Pro2-RU is older and won't take the Tbred. Aarrgh. So it goes.

Last edited:
Shade00 said:

AQXEA is a Barton or Thorton stepping code, not Tbred-A. An example of a Tbred-A is AIUGA.

lol sorry was trying to think of an example and thats all I could think of at the time

Craig

Back