• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

whatr was that "chess" style game in Star Wars: episode I?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jacheatamobits

what was that "chess" style game in Star Wars: episode IV?

you know, when they're on the millenium falcon, and chewbaka is about to rip c3po's arms out of his sockets?

i gotta watch it again, but it looked like some of the monsters in it were from the movie?

did anyone ever make a pc game designed after this?

TY:D

Dejarik
a holographic game played on a circular board with holographic pieces, dejarik was one of the oldest and most popular games ever created in the galaxy. Chewbacca had a dejarik table on board the Millennium Falcon, and was considered something of a master player. The exact origins of dejarik have been lost in time, and scholars and historians continue to argue over them.

I think that most of the creatures (pieces) are animals that do exist in the SW universe or have some mythical reputation: The star wars collectable card game by decipher did use several pieces to represent game cards

examples:

grimtaash.gif

monnok.gif

I don't think there are actual games, board or computer out there based on Dejarik. I would like to know if there is some game out there like dejarik.

ccg-dejarikhologameboard.gif

well, those rules were actualy written by that guy, as there are no official rules...

i dont think anyone actualy programed a game for the PC yet...

ive been meaning to learn some basic skills for programing games, but this just seems daunting, because there isnt anything to use as a starting point.

like, alot of the shareware games on the net are clones, and this would be starting from scratch.

i realy dont know what im talking about, though:p

remember Triple Triad from FF7? same thing... and ive never seen a decent shareware version. im guessing people just give up on projects like these cause ppl like George Lucas arent giving them any $ to make it?

more detailed rules

Now I am not some raving star wars fanatic or anything, but referring to Star Wars as Episode I is tantamount to sacrilege. Star Wars is light years better than Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace. Just making sure ya know that just because Star Wars came out first it is not in actuality the Episode I. Ok, going back to my geekery.

Here Here, in all correctness it was Episode 4 you were refering to. But its best described as Star Wars : A New Hope, followed by Episode 5 Star Wars : The Empire Strikes back, and finally Episode 6 : Return Of The Jedi. Following way behind these in quality is the latest Episode 1 aka Star Wars : The Phantom Menace then Episode 2 aka Star Wars : Attack Of The Clones. The latter being the most stupid title they could have come up with. The Clone Wars would have been better IMO. There were also a few smaller films I believe, though not on the scale of the main episodes.

PS : My geekery is better than yours! :p :D

Now thats unfair, while not as good, they are part of Lucas's vision and cannot be excluded, they show the end of the Old Republic and shed light on 4-6 more than anything else. Though I must say the books are probably the best.

I consider myself a Star Wars fan, I enjoyed Episode I much more than Episode II. Maybe its the dueling scenes with Darth Maul/Obi Wan/Qui Gon? I think I watched Episode I at the theatres about 10 times, compared to Episode II only once. But I am in the majority because Empire Strikes Back is the best episode so far.

interesting find. This reminds me about sabacc but it was never really shown like Dejarik, it is only mentioned once through out the 5 movies when Han Solo said how he came about the Millenium Falcon (he won it off of Lando Calrissian)

DarkHawk said:
Here Here, in all correctness it was Episode 4 you were refering to.

PS : My geekery is better than yours! :p :D

i know, and i tried fixing it already...

i accidentaly call episode IV episode I, cuz it was the first to come out...
:rolleyes:

so does anyone know what proggy i need to start learning how to make a simple game? or maybe i should learn flash?

Episode I & II sucked when compared to the other ones. however, IMO, they are decent-good movies when compared to some of the other crap movies that are coming out.

Episode I was ok as far as movies in general go, but Episode II was horrible. Absolutely horrible. If not for the stupid playing up of the relationship between the queen and anikan then it might have been better, but they focused too much on that aspect of it and that is what ruined it IMO.

DarkHawk said:
That relationship is necassary to show the anger in the next film , if or when we ever see it.

if or when? spring '05.

the romance is essential. the love he feels for padme is what causes him to forsake the jedi order and eventually end up as palpatine's apprentice. that, and i'm betting palpatine kills off padme, blames it on obi-wan, and thats what leads to anakin's hatred for his former master :D who wants to bet?

The horrible, robotic acting in Episode II just ruined the whole movie for me. I think I can act better as Padme's lover. :rolleyes: :D

From what I know in the novels (don't know which one Luke Skywalker goes on a search for her mother). Im thinking that something tragic happens, Anakin loses it completely and Padme and the twins (Leia and Luke Skywalker) go into hiding separately. Luke with the Lars on Tatooine and Leia with Senator Organa on Alderran, I have no idea where Padme went. :-/

http://www1.theforce.net/cuswe/search.asp?search=Skywalker,+Anakin+

I have no idea if what is described in this encylopedia entry will actually happen in the movie.

Jeff Bolton said:

the romance is essential. the love he feels for padme is what causes him to forsake the jedi order and eventually end up as palpatine's apprentice.

Oh don't get me wrong, I fully understand that the romance of the two is very important to the whole plot, but there is a saying that goes like "Less is more". There could have been alot less time in the movie devoted to the relationship on screen if they put it together correctly. I mean in EMpire Strikes Back, you didn't need to see Yoda perform all sorts of feats using the force for you to be convinced that he was powerfull in the force. You didn't need to have Yoda flat out describe what Luke's training would be like to understand that it would be difficult and on more than just a physical level (remember him saying in a sideways way "You will be. You will be....." I mean seeing less can sometimes sell the idea better when that lesser amount of material is presented in a competent way. Just my opinion :p

Back