• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

An explanation of R404 and it's effects on Vapor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Axalon

Registered
I've been doing some research on vapor phase as I am planning on a system of my own, it looks now that everytime I see a vapor system online the person has modded it with R404 gas. What exactly is the difference between R404 gas and the gas that comes with the Prometeia's and Vapochill's by default? I did a Google search on it and could find nothing ( at least within the first couple of pages ) about R404's effect on vapor systems (which obviously is a positive one). Also how difficult is it to change the gases?

My temps with my Vapo Classic were from -5*c idle to 5*c load before my mod. Now I idle at -22*c and -12*c full load. All of those temps are from BIOS and mbm5. I'm not sure on the process for a prommy but for a Vapo classic or SE all you have to do is evacuate the R134a and refill with R404a. Its best to tweak the amount of gas with the computer running at full load.

r404a has better properties at lower temperatures than r134a. r134a is a gas that was forced on the HVAC industry to replace r-12, which is a good refridgerant, but reacts with ozone, and has been killing our ozone layer. i doubt that the industry would have ever shifted over to r-134a without the manufacture of r-12 being stopped. this is because of the lower effiency of r-134a compared to other refridgerants. the only problem with r-404a that restricts its use is that it is more expensive than r-134a. it is better suited to lower temperatures and low heat loads than r-134a though, so this makes it ideal for the phase-change systems overclockers use.

i hear that it benefits alot from greater restriction, so maybe after you decide on the amount you are going to use you might tune whatever metering device you are using.

Big Nuttz - what device did you have to use to release/put in the gases? Also if I am tweaking with the computer at full load how will I know the maximum that the compressor can hold before I put to much?

Ok, that makes sense. But what about the procedure involved in changing the gas?

where do you live? if you are in a country with decent enviromental protection laws, i dont believe you can buy refridgerant without a license. if this is the case, make friends with a HVAC tech and have him help you out. he should definetly be able to change the gas for you, or at least tell you how, and help you obtain the gas you need.

Back