Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Motherboards > AMD Motherboards
AMD Motherboards
Forum Jump

Need help FAST!!!!!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread
 
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-03-04, 11:47 PM Thread Starter   #1
ACTF_Heat
Registered



Join Date: Nov 2003

 
Need help FAST!!!!!!


I just bought an a7n8x-x mobo. How can I tell if its revision 2? I need help fast because I bought it at one of those "super-sales" conventions. What info can I give you that would help you identify if its a good mobo?Thanks!
ACTF_Heat is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Overclockers Approved
Which motherboard should you buy? Get the final word here. Check out the latest Overclockers reviews:
ASRock Z77 OC Formula Motherboard Review

ASRock teamed up with overclocker Nick Shih to make a high-end overclocking-based, yet functional for all users, motherboard named the Z77 OC Formula. It appears they have achieved it. Read More.

Get it at NewEgg for $239.99
ASUS Maximus V Formula Motherboard

The Maximus V Formula is part of the ROG (Republic of Gamers) series of motherboards, which in itself brings a high level of expectation. It's a no brainer, Overclockers Approved! Read more.

Get it at NewEgg for $279.99
Old 01-04-04, 12:12 AM Thread Starter   #2
ACTF_Heat
Registered



Join Date: Nov 2003

 
Please help....I dont know what the differences between this mobo and the a7n8x deluxe is.
ACTF_Heat is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-04-04, 03:20 AM   #3
Maximouse
Member

 
Maximouse's Avatar 

Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada

 
The revision number should be located between the #2 and #3 pci slots. Stamped on the motherboard, you will see "ASUS A7N8X" in large type and right beside it in small type should be the revision number. To determine If its a deluxe model, you should see two connectors marked "pri_sata1" and "sec_sata1" near the edge of the board around the battery area.

Al

If you have the A7N8X-X model, then you wont have SATA or the Soundstorm audio.

Last edited by Maximouse; 01-04-04 at 03:33 AM.
Maximouse is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-04-04, 12:17 PM Thread Starter   #4
ACTF_Heat
Registered



Join Date: Nov 2003

 
Maximouse,Thank you sooooooooooo much! This is a revision 2 a7n8x-x,so it doesnt have the sata connectors. Do you think its still a decent mobo? Compare it to the Abit KD-7 that I have. How good is it in comparison?
ACTF_Heat is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-04-04, 12:22 PM Thread Starter   #5
ACTF_Heat
Registered



Join Date: Nov 2003

 
Oh,and I just noticed that the mobo doesnt have that 4-pin power connector on the mobo---just the standard atx power connector
ACTF_Heat is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-04-04, 12:31 PM   #6
Maximouse
Member

 
Maximouse's Avatar 

Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada

 
Quote:
Originally posted by ACTF_Heat
Maximouse,Thank you sooooooooooo much! This is a revision 2 a7n8x-x,so it doesnt have the sata connectors. Do you think its still a decent mobo? Compare it to the Abit KD-7 that I have. How good is it in comparison?
See this link to the A7N8X-X:http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/sock...x/overview.htm

The Abit KD7 is a Via Kt400 chipset. Supports 333FSB (I have one by the way)

The A7N8X-X is an Nforce2 Chipset. That model officially supports 400FSB.

I have an A7N8X Deluxe Rev 1.04 and have no complaints with it.

Keep the A7N8X-X, you will probably be a lot happier with it if you plan to overclock.

Al
Maximouse is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-04-04, 12:34 PM   #7
Maximouse
Member

 
Maximouse's Avatar 

Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada

 
Quote:
Originally posted by ACTF_Heat
Oh,and I just noticed that the mobo doesnt have that 4-pin power connector on the mobo---just the standard atx power connector
My A7N8X Dlx 1.04 does not have it either. Running a 2500+ Barton at 11x200 with no problems.

Dont need the connector

Al
Maximouse is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-04-04, 12:35 PM Thread Starter   #8
ACTF_Heat
Registered



Join Date: Nov 2003

 
Well,in your opinion,should I return the mobo and get the deluxe version instead? Is it really worth it? I see that the deluxe version is Nforce2-ST,and that the version I just bought is Nforce2-400.I am not sure which one is better,and what the differences are. I really appreciate your help.
ACTF_Heat is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-04-04, 12:43 PM   #9
Maximouse
Member

 
Maximouse's Avatar 

Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada

 
Quote:
Originally posted by ACTF_Heat
Well,in your opinion,should I return the mobo and get the deluxe version instead? Is it really worth it? I see that the deluxe version is Nforce2-ST,and that the version I just bought is Nforce2-400.I am not sure which one is better,and what the differences are. I really appreciate your help.
I would say that the main difference between the two is the Deluxe model has Serial ATA support and Soundstorm Audio.

If you dont need either if the two options then keep the A7N8X-X.
You should be able to do good with the CPU and Ram you have presently.

I use SATA and prefer the Soundstorm audio over my Audigy card so I find it worthwhile.

Al
Maximouse is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-04-04, 12:46 PM   #10
mattmolson
Member



Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: toronto canada

 
actf
the deluxe board(nforce2-st) supports sata and has onboard sound (soundstorm) so if you don't need or want those two items you should be good to go.
mattmolson is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-04-04, 12:47 PM   #11
mattmolson
Member



Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: toronto canada

 
wow! i type slow! lol
mattmolson is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-04-04, 12:49 PM Thread Starter   #12
ACTF_Heat
Registered



Join Date: Nov 2003

 
Let me ask this then:

How much better is the performance with serial ATA vs. IDE connections?

and:

I have an Audigy Gamer....why do you prefer the Soundstorm over your Audigy? I bought the Audigy for the EAX for playing games.Does the Soundstorm have EAX,and I would imagine that the Soundstorm doesnt hinder FPS(frames per second) in games.

Finally---
The mobo that I just bought seems like the only difference in performance compared to the deluxe version is the SATA and on-board sound. These 2 mobos still use the same chipset,though...correct?

So...IYO, is it worth it to spend the extra $40 to get the Deluxe,or not?
ACTF_Heat is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-04-04, 01:03 PM   #13
Maximouse
Member

 
Maximouse's Avatar 

Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada

 
Quote:
Originally posted by ACTF_Heat
Let me ask this then:

How much better is the performance with serial ATA vs. IDE connections?

and:

I have an Audigy Gamer....why do you prefer the Soundstorm over your Audigy? I bought the Audigy for the EAX for playing games.Does the Soundstorm have EAX,and I would imagine that the Soundstorm doesnt hinder FPS(frames per second) in games.

Finally---
The mobo that I just bought seems like the only difference in performance compared to the deluxe version is the SATA and on-board sound. These 2 mobos still use the same chipset,though...correct?
I use the Raid Function with the SATA, so I find it faster

As for the Soundstorm Audio, there are various threads on this forum that can provide you with a lot of the info you require. Just click on the Search button and use Soundstorm, Audigy and EAX as search words. That should give you a lot of detailed information. I prefer the Soundstorm as it seems to use fewer cpu cycles and the digital connection beats the Audigy's

Both Boards are the same, except for the SATA and Audio.


Al
Maximouse is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-04-04, 01:06 PM Thread Starter   #14
ACTF_Heat
Registered



Join Date: Nov 2003

 
Thanks sooooooo much!!! I am a noob,but with each thread that I read,I learn a little bit more.I appreciate people like yourselves who are so willing to lend your knowledge and experience to help people like me.Thank you so much guys!!!!I only hope that one day I will be able to help someone with less knowledge than myself.Thanks again!!!!
ACTF_Heat is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-04-04, 01:07 PM   #15
mattmolson
Member



Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: toronto canada

 
yw!
i have no experience with sata and couldn't afford to get new drives anyway.have a look in storage section regarding that. i use audigy2 and am very happy with that so i passed on the deluxe version.
some people have complained about crackling noise with the soundstorm when they have heat issues. take a look in video/sound section for more info on that.
mattmolson is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-04-04, 01:10 PM Thread Starter   #16
ACTF_Heat
Registered



Join Date: Nov 2003

 
I didnt know that you had to buy new drives for SATA.I just thought that you could buy a SATA PCI card to use your current IDE drives in a SATA mode.If thats true,I think its only a few dollars for one of these cards---but then again,I am just a noob,so I am probably wrong.
ACTF_Heat is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-04-04, 01:15 PM   #17
Maximouse
Member

 
Maximouse's Avatar 

Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada

 
Quote:
Originally posted by ACTF_Heat
I didnt know that you had to buy new drives for SATA.I just thought that you could buy a SATA PCI card to use your current IDE drives in a SATA mode.If thats true,I think its only a few dollars for one of these cards---but then again,I am just a noob,so I am probably wrong.
You have to buy adapters to be able to use IDE Drives with an SATA connector. I used two of them for about 8 months with no problems until I decided to get a couple of true SATA drives. I did it mainly to get the Raid function of the Motherboard

Edit *Actually, there was a problem in the beginning, but current releases of the board's bios has long since fixed it, havent had any problems since*

Al

Last edited by Maximouse; 01-04-04 at 01:25 PM.
Maximouse is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-04-04, 01:30 PM   #18
Maximouse
Member

 
Maximouse's Avatar 

Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada

 
Quote:
Originally posted by ACTF_Heat
Thanks sooooooo much!!! I am a noob,but with each thread that I read,I learn a little bit more.I appreciate people like yourselves who are so willing to lend your knowledge and experience to help people like me.Thank you so much guys!!!!
Your Welcome.

Quote:
Originally posted by ACTF_Heat
I only hope that one day I will be able to help someone with less knowledge than myself.Thanks again!!!!
Dont worry, You will! It's all part of the addiction!

Al

Last edited by Maximouse; 01-04-04 at 01:49 PM.
Maximouse is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-04-04, 01:53 PM   #19
mfjonny
Member

 
mfjonny's Avatar 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: California

 
The main difference between the a7n8x-x and the a7n8x deluxe (in terms of system performance) would be the chipsets; as mentioned the -x runs on a nforce2-400, single-channel DDR chipset and the deluxe rev2 runs on a nforce2 ultra, dual channel DDR chipset.

As for the onboard sound, the soundstorm is a great alternative to an audigy 2 and is fully EAX compatible.

However, the main draw for the deluxe would be the ultra400 chipset with the DCDDR.

good luck.

__________________
Wolfdale E8400/Xigmatek S1283
Asus x48 Rampage Formula/2x2gb G.Skill DDR8500
EVGA 8800 GT 512/dual Dell 2001FPs
Seagate 7200.11 500gb/Vista Ultimate x32
Silverstone TJ07/Antec NeoHE 550
Heatware
mfjonny is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-04-04, 01:56 PM Thread Starter   #20
ACTF_Heat
Registered



Join Date: Nov 2003

 
Well,I have 2 512mb sticks of Corsair XMS ram....will the a7n8x-x work well with that RAM,or should I get the deluxe version and return the a7n8x-x?

Edit*-its pc3200 ram
ACTF_Heat is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Motherboards > AMD Motherboards
AMD Motherboards
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Mobile Skin
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:36 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
You can add these icons by updating your profile information to include your Heatware ID, Benching Profile ID or your Folding/SETI profile ID. Edit your profile!
X

Welcome to Overclockers.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this the best community on the Internet since 1998!


(4 digit year)

Why Join Us?

  • Share experience
  • Max out your hardware
  • Best forum members anywhere
  • Customized forum experience

Already a member?