• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PCTech

Registered
Alrighty:

My computer is a stock everything 1900+ w/ a shuttle AK31 MB. I have a standard heatsink and fan 1 rear fan and 1 front fan, both rear and front types are panaflow 80mm (80mm at best!) The CPU heatsink and fan are standard and came with my chip. I am told that the TT brand of fans are best to use! I am perfectly willing to upgrade all 3 of my current fans! My CPU Case is kept in side of an inclosed computer desk (the kind with a door and stuff) I am considering moving it to the outside and sitting that thing on the floor to improve the airflow because at idle its over 51C and at full load its over 65C Its not overclocked at all right now, but has been in the past. I am willing to cut holes in the case if it will improve the airflow! I just need to know where to put them and what kind and size I should buy. Can someone recommend somethign to me! I Just dont know where to start!

Thanks,
~PCTech

Yah its a whole lot warmish! Its seated right, its hot enough I dont wanna touch my heatsink! It burned me not bad just enough to get my attention and not wanna touch it again! What is the Thermalright Brand? never heard of them, where do I buy them?

Thanks,
~PCTech

What Fan should I put on that heatsink? Its going to be my next upgrade so I want it to be good and compatible with a newer chip If and when i do upgrade! SHould I put in holes for more fans? What rear fans should I get? What front fan?

Thanks for all the help so far!

Thanks,
~PCTech

Prob the best fans to put on heatsinks are tornados or deltas, but they are crazy jet airplane loud

so if you dont want the noise them ypu shoudl probably get a Thermaltake smartfan 2 there good

Well I'm going to get the SP97, after all i do need to upgrade its the heatsink that came with the cpu! I just hope the heatsink will fit my MB, there are 4 holes around the proc but I dont know if they are the right holes or not for that heatsink. What size fan do I put on the heatsink? I want to go with the tornado!

Anyone know what I should do about the rear and front fans? Thanks for all the help again!

Thanks,
~PCTech

if you're gonna put a tornado on your sp97 go for the 92mm... it'll fits like a dream and has excellent cooling - especialy with a duct mod. iv got one on my slk947 and its ace....lowered my cpu temp by nearly 20degrees!!!!

that is it lowered them nearly 20 degrees from the cpu temp i was getting from my TT Volcano 11. please dont buy one- Thermaltake case fans are good...their heatsinks are not.

I would recommend going to a larger size case fans.The 80mm's are ok, but don't move much air without a lot of noise.Are you going to run a 80mm or 92mm Tornado on the SP-97 HS?If you get the Tornado, you'll need some type of fan control.Do you have a fan controller for your case fans? I would go with the Panaflo line of fans.Build it right,do it once.I run the 92mm Panaflo
U1A on my SP-94 the SP-97's brother.It is wired to the PSU via a rheostat.These also make great case fans.As far as modding your case for more fans,you may want to check out this thread link.
THE FANMAN:cool: www.thermalright.com

THREAD LINK

Alrighty let me get my list of stuff right so I can get my prices together and ask my wife if its ok!

I will need the following:

SP97 - Heatsink
Panaflow 92mm Fan for the heatsink
92mm Case Fans (upgrade- rear and front fans)

Possibly cut a side whole in my case and add 2 more 92mm fans?

Possible top exhaust whole also? I am really considering going with the panaflo fans and the SP97, i think it will be a nice upgrade to a stock HS and Fan

Thanks let me know if i'm right,
Thanks,
~PCTech

The Panaflo you want for your new SP-97 is the U1A.You can get it at www.digi-key.com Enter item # P9760-ND These fans also make great case fans on a fan controller.These fans do not have rpm capability or a connecter on the end on the wires.My HSF is wired to the PSU via a rheostat.You will also need some TIM for your HS install.Don't use the stuff that comes with it.I used AS Ceramique,AS-5 is a good choice too.That would be 5 of the Panaflo's not counting the top blow hole, if needed? I bought a 20-25 Ohm 3watt rheostat at Radio Shack for my HSF.If you need help on that I have a guide I can link you to.You may want to hold off on the side fans also.I would recommend you put 2 X front and rear if possible.I try to keep my flow going one way with out the side fans causing turbulance.Pics are coming soon to the modding XASER III thread.Do you have a full tower case?
THE FANMAN:cool:

PS: WELCOME TO THE FORUMS

All I have is 3 expansion slots on the front (5.25 and 2x3.5) I have 2 internal 3.5's and one up front, so I would have to do some work to put to 92mm fans there! I might need to look into a better case also. Which case should I go with that is inexpensive and has good air flow abilities?

Thanks,
~PCTech

I dont really know.I have modded my Xaser III to do what I need,and look the way I like. I would look for a full tower with 120mm intake and exhaust capabilities.Do you have a good quality PSU already.Its more important than your cooling.With out it you dont need cooling.Just some things to ponder.Did you go and check the thread I linked you to? If you follow my blue case thru the thread you can see the changes that have taken place.
I just did 2 more changes .Now waiting for a buddy to take pics.
Your case is the foundation from which you build.THE FANMAN:cool:

Back