• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watercooling but I live in a cold place?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mixsetup

Registered
OK My wife just pointed out something. In the next month I am looking at setting up a water cooling rig. That is greatfor Summer here in Tasmania, Australia. Now the thing is my wife said what about winter where sometimes outside drops to -9 C and the fishpond freeezes outside even the dogs water in his bucket freeeeeeeeezes. Now my computer is in my dinning room and sometimes when it is in the -0C outside it gets to just above that inside even with the heating.
It does get to high 30 C odd in summer
So will my water cooling freeze?
Should I still do the water cooling or go for air?

My computer during our summer CPU at load gets to 29 - 34 C

But I'm looking at overclocking it

Given the conditions you describe I don't believe that your water would freeze.
If you are really concerned you could add a touch of automotive antifreeze to the mix, but I don't think it's really necessary.
Your processor would love the lower temps.

you should have the water conditioned with some sort of additive to prevent galvanic corrosion. A modicum of anti-freeze is a good idea.
At air temp of 0*C, it would take a long time to freeze if the water was stagnant. In the PC case, however, it's flowing and is being heated by the computer. When off, the air will be fairly still within the case, and this is another buffer if the temp falls rather low inside your room.

Anyway, you should use some anti-freeze even if you not concerned about freezing, and if you are, there's that much more reason.

yeh just do what everyone else said and put some anitfreeze in the water, that will keep it from freeing up. i wish i was your processor, being all nice and cumfy....

Thanks heaps I was just thinking of it as the pond and all the other water freezes but I'll add antifreeze thanks heaps all

Back