• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows legalities

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

raven

Hey people.. i have a situation here...

i have the retail version of MS windows XP Professional, and i now have two computers. What i was wondering is if its legal for me to instal my OS onto both computers? i couldnt find anythign on this using the search except that with oem, you can only use it on the computer it came with... so all i would like is some clarification! thanks !

Raven

No, the retail or OEM liscensing on the OS is only for a single machine. There were, in the past not currently, versions of Office that could be installed on a home computer and a laptop, not to be used at the same time, but that is no longer available. Site liscensing is possible for larger corporations and there are other liscensing alternatives, but retail level is single machine.

That really sucks.... =(
window salready costs me soo much and i can only use it on one computer? heh...

I have a question tho.. how does microsoft tell that you are using two computers with the same OS?

Called activation or similar. After 30 days, it wants to phone home and get new number or shuts down. Real pain in the but. Good Luck.

Currently i have both of them registered tho... as in, i just changed HD's, so my old 80 gig has XP on it, but my current computer also has XP on it. Does this mean i have to delete windows form my 80gig HD?

Just like Xaotic said...
The retail or OEM liscensing on the OS is only for a single machine
Windows is sold under license, and always has been...on the basis of one machine per copy. Hence the product Activation system to prevent people from doing just what you propose. :)

Last edited:
redduc900 said:
Just like Xaotic said...

Windows is sold under license, and always has been...on the basis of one machine per copy. Hence the product Activation system to prevent people from doing just what you propose. :)

ya.. i know... and im pretty sure i was just in denial about it.... was kinda hoping this thing would have changed as in, you could use it for 2 computers or something... sigh....

was the activation really put in place for what i proposed to do? i always figured it was put into place so that to stop people from illegaly downloading it... because this way.. i already paid microsoft for their product, and i should be able to use it on more then one machine that i own :mad:

sorry, just venting... im cool now:cool:

My girlfriend has a similar issue. She received a free copy of Office XP, and a copy of WinXP Pro for only $15 from her University. She wants to be able to put them on our home computer, but also on her laptop so she can take it to school. I was hoping that the Academic versions might allow this, but unfortunately the EULA says no :(

Sadly you cant install on both. I would have reccomended getting 2 Home versions which is as much as the Pro (upgrade versions).

However, there is a way to do this.. But it is ILLEGAL. I know there are ways to do it, yet i dont know how. I very highly reccomend not doing this.

How long have you had XP pro? if you can return it and then get 2 home copies.. Unless you need the Pro version for some features Home doesnt offer.

Also in the EULA, it says your XP computer cant be connected to more than 5 computers.. Its hillarious.. Yet people dont listen to it cause they never read the EULA. I found out cause my friend prined it out and i was looking through it.

Ive had my XP Pro for almost a year now i believe.. but i didnt buy it from a store.. MY friend won it and gave it to me, so i didnt complain. But what i am wondering is how Microsoft tracks their Windows products? since both of my windows are registered, how would microsoft know that im using it on two computers?

I believe it works by when u install it u register it over the internet so they know which copy. Then if that same copy is attempted to be registered again on another computer its a no go. One $300 Xp Pro per computer, that way they Microsoft can make more money. The Corporate edition mentioned earlier requires no registration, you just install it and go. No registration means it can be installed on as many computers as you like.

This thread is getting close to the boundry line.

Plain and simple there's no legal way to run one copy on more than one machine at a time. Let's quit discussing the illegal possibilities before a mod gets involved.

Just some friendly OCForum advice ;)

Audioaficionado said:
This thread is getting close to the boundry line.

Plain and simple there's no legal way to run one copy on more than one machine at a time. Let's quit discussing the illegal possibilities before a mod gets involved.

Just some friendly OCForum advice ;)

ya, it has went kinda off track. thats my fault. but i was just asking a sincere question, because i dont know too much about how M$ tracks their software. All i was wondering is how microsoft keeps track of all of these serials and everything.. I know i would have to get a new copy of windows and i will as soon as i set up my other rig, or maybe i will just go and learn how to use linux.

So then the question is, where can i get a cheap serial or upgrade copy of windows XP pro? $50 US on EBAY is still quite a bit, considering that i have just upgraded my main sig. I hear that post secondary school sell copies for cheaper then retail stores. Is there any disadvantage of buying one of these?

autoMATTic said:
I believe it works by when u install it u register it over the internet so they know which copy. Then if that same copy is attempted to be registered again on another computer its a no go. One $300 Xp Pro per computer, that way they Microsoft can make more money. The Corporate edition mentioned earlier requires no registration, you just install it and go. No registration means it can be installed on as many computers as you like.

Even with a VLK (Volume License Key), you are legally only allowed to install the number of licenses that you purchased. You do not purchase one license for the entire organization.... You purchase x#of licenses, but get only get one product key....

Yeah I know that. No matter what, if you want to install a Microsoft OS on a computer you have to pay Microsoft for it. I mean everybody knows that just because you buy something that doesn't mean you own it. ;)

I am not suggesting anyone do this, but when I had a job ;) - before we actually bought the Corp Edition of XP Pro I was testing it on a system. For whatever reason (it escapes me now) I rebuild a whole different system and installed it on that one. Being that I already had installed and activated it on another system I ran into the similar problem of, "now having a 'new' system, running the same OS with the same key... what do I do?"

Well, it was simple, I just called up Microsoft, explained my situation and wham-bam! they gave me a new activation key even though they had given me one only a few weeks prevoiusly.

Now, in a hypothetical situation, seeing as how you actually own the license, and if only one system in on the internet (thus, only one system can theoretically "talk" to microsoft if it needs to or does whatever it does) then your other system is fine, and both are activated.

Of course I would not recommend doing this since you are technically not supposed to... I'm just offering a potential work around in a purely hypothetical situaiton. :D

I understand you reasoning Squirrel, but for a home user that is illegal. in a certain environment IE comp store testing things, then yes that could be a work around, but for me a home user with 3 rigs and a laptop, that wouldnot work. unless I lied to Microsoft. I am stuck with having XP on my main rig, 2K on the secondary, ME on the third, and 98 on the lappy.

Mike

Back